Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spring Must be Early...

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I suppose if they’re just drinking Guinness and not chanting ‘Jews will not replace us’ no one will be much offended.
    So if let's say Hamas or the Iranians or Palestinians or some other foreign group known to hate Jews dressed in Irish garb and drank Guinness they'd be guilty of cultural appropriation? I'm not sure where the Jew angle comes in, or is that requirement specific to Americans?

I'm trying to understand when cultural appropriation is ok to allege and when it isn't, it's confusing.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Diabhal fhios agam.
    My daughter, whose academic specialty includes old/middle Irish, who digs up tombs there, and who has spent a lot of time creating instructional material for the Irish school system to teach kids there their own language, reports to me that Actual Irish don't quite understand the whole US St. Patrick's Day business.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    So if let's say Hamas or the Iranians or Palestinians or some other foreign group known to hate Jews dressed in Irish garb and drank Guinness they'd be guilty of cultural appropriation? I'm not sure where the Jew angle comes in, or is that requirement specific to Americans?

I'm trying to understand when cultural appropriation is ok to allege and when it isn't, it's confusing.
    That would certainly be an interesting twist if Iranians or Hamas or the Palestinians decided to use the same protesting slogan as the Charlottesville ‘good people’ as trump called them except wearing ‘kiss me I’m irish’ green shirts. It might muddy their message somewhat since I doubt they have quite the same reason for disliking Jews. But I suppose it would certainly garner media attention...

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    My daughter, whose academic specialty includes old/middle Irish, who digs up tombs there, and who has spent a lot of time creating instructional material for the Irish school system to teach kids there their own language, reports to me that Actual Irish don't quite understand the whole US St. Patrick's Day business.
    Yes. I’ve heard that every year for as long as I can remember. My grandfather had a reply for it. He said that most of the boldest, craziest, most fun and interesting Irish left or were chased out over the last couple of centuries, and naturally have the boldest, craziest, most fun and interesting parties. Therefore the comparison should be viewed more as a compliment than a rebuke.

My daughter, whose academic specialty includes old/middle Irish ... reports to me that Actual Irish don't quite understand the whole US St. Patrick's Day business.
    I think St Patrick’s Day is to the Irish, as Cinco de Mayo is to the Mexicans...

US population celebrating something they only vaguely understand, and yes, a kind of cultural appropriation.

Personally, I have always hated St Patrick’s Day. I’m half Irish and went to Catholic grammar school, where there was much bullying on this day. Plus I saw/still see adults using it as an excuse to get rip roaring drunk. Who wants That as their heritage?!

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Therefore the comparison should be viewed more as a compliment than a rebuke.
    Well, to be fair, my daughter mostly only converses with Irish folk who have been buried for at least 1000 years.

Well, to be fair, my daughter mostly only converses with Irish folk who have been buried for at least 1000 years.
    That sounds more enjoyable than going to an American Irish bar on st Patrick’s day.

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    Plus I saw/still see adults using it as an excuse to get rip roaring drunk. Who wants That as their heritage?!
    Me.

Thread Information