Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Wow that Biden stock market!

I say if you have disposable income (play money) and want to try to stock pick, go for it. Just don't confuse it with an emergency fund or retirement savings unless your Warren Buffett, don't bet more than you can afford to lose without much pain.

I don't pick individual stocks, but mostly I don't have any interest in the topic, and I'm not sure it's a topic I could make myself have any interest in. So boring mutual funds it is.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I don't pick individual stocks, but mostly I don't have any interest in the topic, and I'm not sure it's a topic I could make myself have any interest in. So boring mutual funds it is.
    My sentiments as well. I've tried to get interested in stocks and other investments, but the financial interest genes evidently passed me by...

My personal philosophy has always been "don't invest it if you can't afford to lose it". While we do okay, there is not really enough money worth risking ANY loss.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Do not risk what you cannot live without and be balanced in what you do. That is the philosophy we have followed. We have reached our goals without having to do without what we considered important. We left individual stocks more than 20 years ago and carefully invest in broad funds in a balanced manner. Yes, the market can go up and down. We have swung between 30% up and 30% down in various short term periods. But with the balanced method have never lost heavily and more than made it up in later time periods. As I say, it goes up and it goes down and it goes all around. But that first downturn was downright scary.

Over the years we have recognized that whenever speculators enter any market, it is time to withdraw or to be very careful. We have seen it in real estate, collectibles, rarities, etc. Right now I believe the market is overblown due in part to the missing interest rates. Money has to go somewhere.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    First I find out you own property you don't live at, now that you play the stock market. You are living large Rob. America is obviously good to you.
    I own less than $1000 in shares and the other property I don't live on? An inhereited 1/3 acre lot outside Douglas, AZ valued by Cochise County at $600. Not the streets, no, but no high life either. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I own less than $1000 in shares and the other property I don't live on? An inhereited 1/3 acre lot outside Douglas, AZ valued by Cochise County at $600. Not the streets, no, but no high life either. Rob
    So you are a beneficiary of multigenerational wealth built atop the backs of oppressed peoples? Cool!

I seem to recall you telling us that your primary residence was also an inheritance which you shared with your cousin, and that it had a casita which you rent to a tenant. Now that you're married, are you, your husband and cousin all living there?

If housing prices are rising in your area (as you reported in another thread) will that impact your goal of escaping the United States earlier than planned? It sounds like a quick and easy sale of your estate might set you up for success in a country where your innate right to free or very low cost health care might be fully respected. This may be the time to act!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Why are you trying to justify yourself? There is no need and nobody’s business, especially the jealous troll(s).

If I may ask - what is the zoning on the 1/3 acre? Could I live there in a mobile home/tiny house or would there be too many legal issues? Also, I have to ask - rattle snakes and scorpions? They may be the deal breaker. I have enough issues with the stink bugs here - LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Why are you trying to justify yourself? There is no need and nobody’s business, especially the jealous troll(s).
    Agreed. So tiresome. And so predictable.

Thread Information