Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Space is Big!

Space is Big!

I've been working on some algorithms recently for deep space astronomy.

Here's some initial fiddling with some observations I've taken over the past few weeks. This is just a start, I expect vastly better results once I get a handle on some problems, get a bigger array of computers, and layer more data - each of these is generally about 30 minutes of telescope time, in several frequency bands, layered.

My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

So beautiful!!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Splendid! Gives me cold chills. The immensity of what we don't know is eminently beautiful - and terrifying. I don't quite know how to express my thoughts/feelings regarding space - I feel like the words I need have not yet been formed - but thanks for sharing!

Awesome. Thanks for sharing
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Magnificent. Thank you for taking the time to share. What a beautiful art hobby.

“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”
    - Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    “Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”
    - Douglas Adams
    And then, if you go in the opposite direction, things get infinitesimally small. Microbes, molecules, atoms, sub-atomic particles ...

It is truly humbling. If you want to feel insignificant, ponder bae's pictures. Yet, we each have consciousness. and each of us has a world of our own that makes us feel important in our own little spheres. [Friday night disclaimer: Yes, I had a craft vodka cocktail; no, I did not imbibe in my DH's medical marijuana].
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

What always gets to me in the middle of the night, peering through the lens on a cold night, is that the further out into the sky I am looking, the further back in time I am seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    What always gets to me in the middle of the night, peering through the lens on a cold night, is that the further out into the sky I am looking, the further back in time I am seeing.
    That is a puzzling observation to me. Not disagreeing exactly but why not seeing 'more of the infinite present'?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information