Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling old tools?

Selling old tools?

We inherited a drawer of old hand tools with this house, and want to see how to sell them. These are things like a Pexto draw knife and Pexto and Stanley braces. Any ideas on best ways to sell them--I am thinking just post them on Craigslist as our Craiglist covers the whole state and there are a lot of people who use/collect old hand tools?

These things move pretty quickly on my community's local "Buy/Sell/Trade" group on social media, and then you don't have to deal with shipping.

FaceBook Marketplace has sort of taken the place of Craigslist. Are you on FB?

Make sure you put in the listing that it's for local pickup only.

Of course there is Ebay, though it doesn't seem like the fastest or most convenient.
    Trees don't grow on money

From what people have posted on other sites, eBay has changed - and not for the better. Fees are higher, everything is in favor of the buyer, etc.

You would be better off with local social media sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    From what people have posted on other sites, eBay has changed - and not for the better. Fees are higher, everything is in favor of the buyer, etc.

You would be better off with local social media sales.
    On the contrary, I found eBay to be very good for the seller but not talking about fees here.

It is so easy to use. I remarked to DH couple days ago that I’m glad I didn’t have to struggle through using eBay any earlier because they have made the sales process so easy.

But I would not sell tools on eBay. But that’s just me, I sold only things that were light and easy to ship.

Thanks, everybody, will look to see if there are any community social media sites. Am not on Facebook and we are really, really rural. My husband just sold the ancient oven that came with this house--probably from the 70's . The guy that bought it is going to put it in his garage and bake power coatings on his gun mechanisms and motorcycle parts (?) I think that is what he said--he said he can do it at 400 degrees. We met him the next town over at the boat launch.

Then we took the twenty dollars to the grocery and bought vegetables, fresh flowers, and gingerale--it was a happy little field trip!

I would try the Nextdoor site. Facebook marketplace is the best. Maybe you can use it without joining Facebook. It’s worth looking at.

I inherited a small collection of old hand tools and most all that I checked out on eBay did not have much value. I gave a nice old hand brace drill and bit collection to a friend who is into carpentry and gave a bunch to the Habitat reuse store. There are a few unusual things I will probably never use but just like having them around.

The problem with old hand tools is you don't know if you have common stuff, that you might get between $1-10 at a yard sale, or if you have something rare, that will bring in more.
    Braces are not generally an expensive category. Expensive area's are handplanes, some chisels, hand saws, IMHE.
    Locally I used to hit a swap meet on occasion, after having some tools stolen. A weekend I didn't, someone on a forum I visited, visited the local to us swap. He bought a beer flat of tools for $10 and sold a very old, hand plane for $10K on Ebay. He is in the less then 1% club.

Thread Information