Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Something Bad Happened To Me Or Might

I'm the granddaughter of an immigrant, and the great-granddaughter of four hardy souls who came here in the 19th century. I will always champion the rights of refugees and immigrants to a fair hearing in this country.

Many on the left seem to think we should take EVERYONE in.
    Not sure that I agree with you on this. Migrant issues are not a left or right issue to me but a humanitarian tragedy requiring a shared response and solution of all including the countries of origin. Denial of a problem doesn't make it go away. Obviously, no one country can take all the migrants of the world. With all the minds working and brainstorming, why could not a series of solutions be found to manage the problems. That requires the kind of leadership that seems to be lacking at present, leadership that pulls innovative and diverse thinking without politics and hate.

I stood on the very spot in Ireland from where the boats sailed taking families away forever during the potato famine. That was an 'economic migrant' issue. These migrants share many of the same challenges.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

We immigrated prior to this law. 100 persons from the Netherlands per year---a family of 7. It took years to get here. We were not under stress of war, famine, violence....just poor.

https://www.history.com/news/immigra...t-1965-changes

I think the world's view on the USA changed with this immigration act. The USA is a great place. It is historically welcoming and full of opportunity. Why wouldn't someone who is living in horrific circumstances want to get in ASAP? These migrants live in horrific conditions compared to US conditions. Even the poor and homeless are in better conditions than many seeking asylum.

As someone said earlier, stand in their shoes..........

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    We immigrated prior to this law. 100 persons from the Netherlands per year---a family of 7. It took years to get here. We were not under stress of war, famine, violence....just poor.

https://www.history.com/news/immigra...t-1965-changes

I think the world's view on the USA changed with this immigration act. The USA is a great place. It is historically welcoming and full of opportunity. Why wouldn't someone who is living in horrific circumstances want to get in ASAP? These migrants live in horrific conditions compared to US conditions. Even the poor and homeless are in better conditions than many seeking asylum.

As someone said earlier, stand in their shoes..........
    Please elaborate on the thoughts you have ascribed those who need to “stand in their shoes. “ In other words, what do people who need to “stand in their shoes “think?

Do you think there should be any limit to number of refugees a new immigrants coming into our country?

Just letting people in doesn't address the realities of what comes next - education, housing, healthcare, employment. If I try to stand in their shoes, my motivation would be based on escaping crime, poverty and violence. And the stories told by coyotes and others who stand to profit from getting them here. Who knows how the next steps can realistically be addressed? It is a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Do you think there should be any limit to number of refugees a new immigrants coming into our country?
    There are limits on the number of legal immigrants allowed in the country each year. It totals just over one million a year for all classes of immigrants and the vast majority of those legal immigrants come from just about everywhere but Central and South America and Mexico. Although when you look at illegal immigration, those areas make up the vast majority.

I'm not sure why that is the case other than proximity and the misguided belief that there are no consequences to breaking the rules, but it occurs to me that our taking over a million people a year, each and every year, is a pretty impressive feat, while the efforts of some to fully open the borders for any and all would be foolhardy. That's probably why no other country in the world does so.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

How does the US acceptance rate of immigrants, per capita, compare with other developed nations?

I don’t know anyone that thinks everyone should be let in. Saying everyone on the left is for open borders is ridiculous. Yes there needs to be limits. Developed countries should work together on solutions because it would benefit everyone.

Yppej
    It used to be you could buy your way into Canada under the Immigrant Investor Program. A lot of people fleeing Hong Kong did that. Now that has been shut down in most provinces but you can still buy your way into Quebec through the Quebec Immigrant Investor Program. This is the opposite of the situation along the southern US border where immigrants are overwhelmingly poor.

What I actually meant in my post is that many on the left I encounter want everyone who comes up through the southern border let in. So basically there’s unlimited immigration from the south and everyone else is restricted to the usual bureaucratic channels.

I’d be in favor of a seasonal worker program like there used to be, far as I can tell. Let them come in for harvest season and then they go back home. System is too overwhelmed right now, though.

Thread Information