Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you still recycling?

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    This just in from the far NW suburbs - Surprise, Arizona no longer recycles glass and stopped a few plastics. They say there's no market. Rob
    That supports the fact that the recycling industry is just another industry. It doesn't really do the planet much good.

I still recycle by bringing my cans, bottles and paper to the local transfer station. Or, if I'm going to Burlington, I bring them to my son's house because if he puts redeemable cans on his curb they're gone in 20 minutes. At least SOMEONE gains from recycling, even if it's just earning $5. Sometimes I cash in the cans myself, but it's a bit inconvenient up here.

I did get a DrinkMate and it has drastically cut down on the soda and seltzer cans and bottles DH and I used to use.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Since moving into the condo there’s no recycling. At the house I did it.

How much do you all pay for trash service? We pay anywhere from $31-$76/month depending on what size landfill dumpster we want (20 gallon -96 gallon) and then we get any size we want recycling and compost dumpsters.

The 20 gallon dumpster is more than enough for us. We typically generate about half of a 13 gallon bag of landfill trash each week.

I don't pay for trash as it's covered in rent, so nothing. I have a trash bin at the apartment and no way to recycle at all.

So no I'm not going to recycle, unless it became possible (and possible isn't driving 30 miles out of my way and hoping someone takes the recycling).
    Trees don't grow on money

Working from both ends, we are trying really hard not to purchase things in non-recyclable materials (plastic jugs, clamshells) and are also composting and recycling what we can. There just seems to be only so much you can do.

Can't remember who on this forum reported the laundry detergent that comes in cardboard envelopes with laundry sheets, but I love it, so thank you. No more plastic detergent jugs. And I'm not one who enjoyed making my own from borax, etc. Too gunky and unpredictable and a hassle.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

In the house it was 20/month for the big garbage can and recycling can. The first time I lived in a condo 24 years ago I kept the recycling in my spare bedroom and drove it to a place where I had to sort it. I am too old for that crap now. Actually I don’t know if there’s even a place like that to take it yourself.

We still have separate containers for garbage and recycle. As far as I've seen, they still get picked up separately, so the hope is they stay that way!

Still in the process of cutting back on the plastics. I've been using the homemade laundry soap, but I think other members of the household are still using the bottled stuff. I think the bar dish soap is being used, with little use of the liquid stuff at this point. Just found two bars of shampoo at Marshals for a really low price, so I plan to try it this weekend. Not sure I'll be able to get anyone else interested - we'll see.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

My recycling center was down or limited operations during the pandemic, but are now almost back to full speed. They are a non-profit that uses developmentally disabled help. I can recycle number 2 and number 5 plastic, mixed paper products, cardboard, aluminum, etc, but it must all be separated and unloading is monitored. They haul glass to a local brewery to add to the brewery glass waste.

I don't have a high regard for single stream recycling, but sometimes that's all that's available. Other than the sorting process, it sounds like people add a lot of non-recyclables to contaminate things and add to the expense. All the focus on eliminating single use plastic bags at the grocery store seems a little myopic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    All the focus on eliminating single use plastic bags at the grocery store seems a little myopic.
    I'm curious as why you say this? Do you really think a majority of people would give them up for... whatever they consider a "good reason"?

A while back there was a thread about the history of the plastic grocery bags which explained they were actually invented to help the environment. I believe the initial idea was that people would use them over and over and over... etc. While that would be wonderful, unfortunately not many folks take the plastic bags back to the store for reuse - they just get new. So, I don't believe them to be the friend of the environment they were invented to be.

I actually hope that grocery stores and such will start charging for the plastic bags, causing a decrease in their use and an increase in cloth.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I'm curious as why you say this? Do you really think a majority of people would give them up for... whatever they consider a "good reason"?

A while back there was a thread about the history of the plastic grocery bags which explained they were actually invented to help the environment. I believe the initial idea was that people would use them over and over and over... etc. While that would be wonderful, unfortunately not many folks take the plastic bags back to the store for reuse - they just get new. So, I don't believe them to be the friend of the environment they were invented to be.

I actually hope that grocery stores and such will start charging for the plastic bags, causing a decrease in their use and an increase in cloth.
    There are several cities in my state that are or will be charging or banning single use grocery bags and the state has passed a referendum to phase them out totally in the next few years. It's not a bad thing, but it seems to me to give a token feel good for a bigger problem. Say the average grocery shopper buys a clam shell of berries, some pre-packed meat, bottled water, Doritos, and some detergent. It's now a reusable bag, probably plastic coated, full of single use plastics that probably won't be recycled. And that's not to mention the microfibers that come off in the wash from synthetics in clothing, like fleece jackets and yoga pants.

Maybe it's just a start, but it would make more sense to focus on deposits and returnables, better single stream recycling, and packaging alternatives.

Thread Information