Thread: Any Cell Phone Carrier You Avoid?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Any Cell Phone Carrier You Avoid?

Like a plague? For me such would be Boost (my experience was a nightmare) followed by Metro. Am with Cricket now. Rob

Everyone but T-mobile.

Pretty much no other carrier has adequate coverage on the islands here.

No judgement on quality of service/cost/whatnot, as other carriers here don't function well enough to even attempt a comparison.

Like a plague?
    turns out people don't actually avoid a plague all that much though.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    turns out people don't actually avoid a plague all that much though.
    Perfect!

Only 2 have decent coverage in this state when you aren’t in Vegas or Reno. That’s Verizon and AT&T. Even the ones that claim to use their network like cricket. Found out the hard way.

I need to find time to go out to a relatives farm. Years ago, they pretty much had to go with Sprint, for coverage where they lived. My T-mobile was spotty out there at best, until they dropped 2G, then nothing.
    T mobile covered everywhere else I traveled. Need to see since the merger.
    Otherwise, I wouldn't go back to Simple mobile. They don't allow time to run concurrent and will not let you pay for months (or a year in my case), in advance.

We are stuck with AT&T because it’s the only one that covers Hermann Missouri adequately. We tell people who are coming to visit us to be sure to identify our house on a map before they get to Hermann because once there, they’re not gonna be able to get any GPS reception unless they are AT&T customers and most are not.

I remember when we were standing in the city center of Hermann trying to get our real estate agent on the phone to make an offer on our house, and it was impossible. We had to borrow the restaurant’s cell phone to reach her. It was ridiculous.

Avoid the cell phone carrier that does not offer service where you need it. That's the first gate any carrier needs to hurdle.

Here in the Twin Cities, we could pick any carrier we wanted. But when we're in outstate Minnesota on a trip or a wedding, funeral, etc., AT&T and Verizon offer service; T-Mobile/Sprint typically haven't (that may be better now but we're not looking to move).

After that, I'd be wary of the come-on "free" carriers that rely on trying to connect your calls through the Internet first. Connecting to all kinds of Wi-Fi networks is just bad for privacy and security. In addition, too many of those carriers eventually learn the funding model doesn't work and they pull the plug, sometimes leaving you unable to move your number to another carrier.

After that, it's price, features, and only occasionally technical issues (for example, some cheap MVNOs still don't deal with multimedia messaging on iPhones).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information