Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Irreversible Damage by Abigail Shrier

I don't know about that, but I'm amazed at how quickly the "population bomb" seems to be being defused. Many of the young people I know don't show any interest in reproducing at all. This is probably good for the planet, if not for individual economies.

None of my 3 kids have children. They are doing their part).

I think about my grandmother, who had five children and seventeen grandchildren. She had five granddaughters, who had four children among them (one of us was an overachiever, and had three). Of their offspring, I've only kept track of a few, but so far, none of them have reproduced.

Just read online an interesting article https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/...ulture/618445/ in the March 30th of The Atlantic magazine.

I can relate how when my body changed starting when I was 12 years old, I felt that I had lost my freedom to be just me. I had been molested by an old man at age 10. The article does resonate in a number of ways by articulating some aspects of how I felt but never really considered the consequences. Has society considered the consequences?
    Is this a contributing factor to the girls' effort in the desire for a sex change?

"To be a girl is to be perfectly vulnerable to predation: sexual, emotional, and even intellectual. It isn’t just one school—a slew of others have begun addressing charges that current and former students have raised in recent weeks. And to be clear, a culture of institutionalized misogyny also puts queer people in danger, and people of color especially so; the Dulwich document contains a whole section on how the alleged “discriminatory worldview” of certain students encouraged homophobic abuse and racialized violence. In the absence of specific lessons that emphasize self-worth and autonomy, internalizing the things some boys say they’re entitled to becomes disturbingly easy. As teenagers, we were taught how to put condoms on bananas, but not how to ask boys to wear them. We were taught trigonometry and Catullus and the history of feminism, but not how to apply the idea that we are equal human beings to social situations in which we are seen as prey. We were also taught to prickle with shame for being frigid, or being easy—a taxonomy so reductively designed that it leaves little room to simply exist. For decades, Febos notes in her introduction, “I considered it impossible to undo most of this indoctrination. Knowing about it was not enough. But I have found its undoing more possible than I expected.”
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am sorry to hear this, very much so. I have been watching the YouTube transitioners (a few) and the detransitioners (a few more) for some months and skimming other first person accounts, and there does not appear to be universal truths, science, or facts. But I suppose that is typical for newish issues in health and human services psychological research.

The social media atmosphere does indeed to be as you describe, pushing relentlessly one worldview and professionals who should be guiding everyone along are at a loss.

I’ve said to myself “so glad I don’t have a child to guide through this minefield” so my sympathies to all who are doing this.

Dont we wish we could just hold them off of any permanent changes to their bodies until at LEAST age 25. That is the scary stuff to me.
    I just watched a YouTube video with two transsexuals discussing the dangers of Lupron and transitioning too soon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY0v1lDz9h0
    I found it eye-opening and disturbing, and--like Iris Lily--I'm glad not to have to negotiate this minefield.

Interesting, Lupron is what you go on when you are trying to hyperovulate prior to IVF. I was on it one time and it was murder.

I had my first experience the other day dealing with this topic. I hadn't seen an acquaintance in a few years and asked how her college-age daughter's education was going. She stammered a bit and said that he was doing well. I must have looked confused as she very briefly explained that her daughter was now her son. She said she was still trying to figure out the best way to explain their new reality.

Thread Information