Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is There or Is There Not a Border Crisis?

Is There or Is There Not a Border Crisis?

It seems so hard to establish even basic fact. On the one hand we hear about swarms of would-be new residents overwhelming border facilities. On the other, we’re told it’s just a seasonal fluctuation. The exclusion of press from certain places does seem indicative that something is going on.

I have no idea.

Up here in mid aMerica, it doesn’t affect my life so I do my best to not pay attention.

It should be no big surprise that after the Trump hard core rhetoric there is a belief that Biden will be easier on border crossings. And that they were not prepared for the obvious. How much of a crisis it is and how bad it is relative to humanitarian issues with Trump is hard to tell. There are too many self-interests telling their side. Unlike IL I figure were are all in the bus together, regardless of international borders and how safe I feel at home (or in King Soopers). So I do care, but probably not a lot of significance that I can do about it.

Yppej
    Yes. There are recurring crises at the border and we have one now. To me a crisis is when we cannot accommodate all the people being let in and have to send some to ad hoc overflow centers.

I'm looking out the window at the northern border right now, and it seems calmer than usual.

YMMV down there in the South. I have no idea what to believe on the topic down there, as most of the information sources seem suspect.

I think there's been a crisis at our border for years, the only difference in my mind is that there is now an implied promise to accept any and every one who shows up regardless of immigration law and our new administration's adamant refusal to acknowledge making the situation worse. The level of secrecy being imposed on Border Control agents and lack of media access to facilities and immigrants is telling.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think there's been a crisis at our border for years, the only difference in my mind is that there is now an implied promise to accept any and every one who shows up regardless of immigration law and our new administration's adamant refusal to acknowledge making the situation worse. The level of secrecy being imposed on Border Control agents and lack of media access to facilities and immigrants is telling.
    From all accounts this is not a true statement. Biden stated unattended children will not be left to their own defenses. The media is reporting and showing facilities. I don't know where you are getting your news/reports.

Like others here have mentioned, this has been a problem for a long time. IMO trump made it worse by totally having people camped out at the border. That alone made the impact greater.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    From all accounts this is not a true statement. Biden stated unattended children will not be left to their own defenses. The media is reporting and showing facilities. I don't know where you are getting your news/reports.
    They allowed one reporter and one camera in a few days ago after bowing to pressure to do so. I think that was probably smart of them since this is basically a public relations move to convince us that conditions are improved over the last administration and I'm sure it took a while to set up the shots they wanted. I think they're still forbidding Customs and Border personnel from answering questions though.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I think they're still forbidding Customs and Border personnel from answering questions though.
    I know in my agency, we are required to punt any questions to our Public Information Officer.

They allowed one reporter and one camera in a few days ago after bowing to pressure to do so. I think that was probably smart of them since this is basically a public relations move to convince us that conditions are improved over the last administration and I'm sure it took a while to set up the shots they wanted. I think they're still forbidding Customs and Border personnel from answering questions though.
    Where are you getting this information?

And, yes, (life Bae) when I worked for the government I was told to refer all political questions to the proper department.... as I am sure all businesses do.

Thread Information