Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is There or Is There Not a Border Crisis?

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    It should be no big surprise that after the Trump hard core rhetoric there is a belief that Biden will be easier on border crossings. And that they were not prepared for the obvious. How much of a crisis it is and how bad it is relative to humanitarian issues with Trump is hard to tell.
    88000 crossed in 2019. This is not a Biden problem, it's a long term issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    I've seen different versions depending on the source. This is what CNN says.

"All of that could set 2021 on track to exceed 2019 in the number of people apprehended at the border. Just over 100,000 people were encountered last month, 24,000 more than in February 2019. And the number of unaccompanied children crossing the US-Mexico border in March is on pace to surpass May 2019, the highest month that year in arrests of minors."

And the wsj:

"The surge in illegal immigration across the southern U.S. border is shaping up to be the biggest in 20 years. Unlike migrant surges in 2019 and 2014, which were predominantly made up of Central American families and unaccompanied children, so far this one is being driven by individual adults.

The Washington post is calling it a seasonal pattern.

Oh, it was much higher than that. In FY '19 there were approximately 850,000 people caught crossing the southern border illegally, with approximately 375,000 of those being released into the United States with notices to appear in immigration court. I would think the 88K number would be those who followed immigration law and entered legally.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Federal law for asylum seekers has existed for a very long time. 88k crossed in 2019. This is not a Biden problem. This happens constantly. A little light reading. It's so easy to find information on this issue.

https://www.rescue.org/article/what-...-mexico-border

https://www.hrw.org/news/2021/03/05/...kers-us-border

https://www.hhs.gov/programs/social-...020/index.html

Long standing immigration or illegal immigration did not start with Biden, but I don't think your references address whether the problem has grown under Biden and are a result of his real or perceived policies. And if the humanitarian issues such as overcrowding of the facilities are problematic because of this. Trump is also on the common records for ignoring humanitarian problems at the border.

It's Biden's watch now and it's his problem. Whether he's made it worse or better is debatable.

People have a legal right and a legal system to seek asylum here in the U.S., but as another poster pointed out, fleeing from domestic violence at home, or gang violence in your neighborhood, isn't really what asylum was meant to be used for. A "guest worker" system might be useful for those who want to work here for economic reasons. But all these unaccompanied minors - wow, what an insoluble issue! There are kids as young as 7 coming across alone - do they ALL have legal family here?? Before we turn them over to their legal family here, how can we be sure that's their true family? Should we be setting up refugee camps and orphanages? That's really uncomfortable...shades of Japanese internment camps! But we simply can't keep having the Border Patrol drive a bunch of people/families to a small town in the middle of nowhere and drop them off at a public park in a town with no hospital, no shelters (as has been happening). We can't ask foster parents to take them in, when we don't have enough foster parents for the children already in the foster care system. Yes, it looks like this is an ongoing crisis, and will continue to be, world-wide, with people leaving countries in Latin America coming to the U.S., and people leaving countries in Africa and the Middle East going to Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by befree View Post
    People have a legal right and a legal system to seek asylum here in the U.S., but as another poster pointed out, fleeing from domestic violence at home, or gang violence in your neighborhood, isn't really what asylum was meant to be used for. A "guest worker" system might be useful for those who want to work here for economic reasons. But all these unaccompanied minors - wow, what an insoluble issue! There are kids as young as 7 coming across alone - do they ALL have legal family here?? Before we turn them over to their legal family here, how can we be sure that's their true family? Should we be setting up refugee camps and orphanages? That's really uncomfortable...shades of Japanese internment camps! But we simply can't keep having the Border Patrol drive a bunch of people/families to a small town in the middle of nowhere and drop them off at a public park in a town with no hospital, no shelters (as has been happening). We can't ask foster parents to take them in, when we don't have enough foster parents for the children already in the foster care system. Yes, it looks like this is an ongoing crisis, and will continue to be, world-wide, with people leaving countries in Latin America coming to the U.S., and people leaving countries in Africa and the Middle East going to Europe.
    Total agreement from me. I have no answers while my compassion runs deep for those wanting a better life. Because I am an immigrant for that reason, I totally relate.

Total agreement from me. I have no answers while my compassion runs deep for those wanting a better life. Because I am an immigrant for that reason, I totally relate.
    You can have all the compassion you like. Go for it.

Emotion shouldn’t be overriding laws here. Those of us who live in United States expecting reasonable enforcement of reasonable laws seem to be the brunt of your posts—is that what you intend? Perhaps it is not. Policies emanating from the
    White House are a big factor in this issue. Our President gets to fix this whole situation, lucky him!

Immigration laws that take into account asylum circumstances seem like reasonable laws to me. Are they reasonable to you? Should there be any immigration restrictions in your mind?

Thread Information