Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: old letters about family friends

old letters about family friends

I have been reading old letters home from my dad from the service and college, from the 40's to early 50's. One of my dad's dearest friends features prominently in the letters, and there is talk about things they did and the fun they had, all the way from the service to when they were married and had kids. I remember playing with the kids when we would visit Savannah to see my grandparents.

I remembered the name of one of the daughters who was around my age. I found an obituary for Dad's friend, who died about ten years ago. Since then, his daughter lost her brother, husband, and own daughter.

Do you think this woman (the daughter) would want copies of these letters about her parents when they were young? I'm sure she does not remember me, but I remember her family, and I remember playing with her, and her dad taking us to the swimming pool on the day of my granddad's funeral. He was such a nice man.

Would it be totally weird to contact her if I can find an address, and ask?

That sounds like a lovely thing to do.

i would share these letters without any hesitation.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

thank you!

I think she would absolutely love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    I think she would absolutely love them.
    Thank you, everyone! I guess I will get to work sorting and copying them.

I agree! I would love to have letters from or about any of my old relatives. My cousin came across an old letter written to her mother, my aunt. It was from my adopted brother's mother. My brother is a blood 1st cousin, but he was orphaned at 6 years old. My mother and father took him in.

In it she wrote about how happy she was to be pregnant and played around with names in the letter. My cousin was afraid that my brother would be upset or sad by the letter but I encouraged her to write to my SIL and ask her. She also said to send it and my brother was thrilled to have it. She died in childbirth only a couple months later.

So, yes--send it!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I agree! I would love to have letters from or about any of my old relatives. My cousin came across an old letter written to her mother, my aunt. It was from my adopted brother's mother. My brother is a blood 1st cousin, but he was orphaned at 6 years old. My mother and father took him in.

In it she wrote about how happy she was to be pregnant and played around with names in the letter. My cousin was afraid that my brother would be upset or sad by the letter but I encouraged her to write to my SIL and ask her. She also said to send it and my brother was thrilled to have it. She died in childbirth only a couple months later.

So, yes--send it!
    Yes, that's it, was a little worried about making this lady upset or sad. I will write and see if she wants copies of the letters before sending anything.

Late to this but I agree to send them.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Late to this but I agree to send them.
    Thank you!

Thread Information