Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drought

Yppej

Drought

It looks like another dry year. Is anyone not planning to garden this year due to drought? The thought has crossed my mind.

the models I've seen do not anticipate drought conditions for Ohio, or indeed, east of the Mississippi, overall. Flood risk for Ohio is predicted to be minor, also. Not that I'm in a flood prone area, but looks like there won't be too many deluges. So my planting plans remain in the "as usual" category.

We have been shocked up where I live on the lake at how low it is this time of the spring. When the ice melts the lake swells to within about 50 yards of the house, but it hasn't even breached the mid-summer shoreline yet.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln drought monitor maps the severity and impacts of drought. Commentary includes discussion of recent rainfall and 5-7 day forecasts of changing drought conditions.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu

This has been a very wet year fir us.weeds growing like crazy.

No plans to reduce gardening, although I've arranged for a landscaper to replace some of my lawn with rock. Most of my ornamental garden is xeric and the I could argue a case for my organic home vegetables to be more environmentally sound than most grocery store produce, all considered. We're not officially in a drought here, but the big front range cities suck a lot of water from the drought stricken west slope though a series of diversions, reservoirs and tunnels.

Yppej
    The drought turned 180 and we had an extremely wet July. But still my garden is not doing well. I think manure was not enough and I probably need to add new soil if I garden again next year.

I get so flustered by the neighbors on my street who have private wells. They water their edge to edge bluegrass lawns way too much since the water is free even though this is a dry high desert/plains region. I am also in the midst of trying to figure out how to reduce the front lawn area. I have relatives on the other side of the mountain and they are not happy that we divert their water and yet continue to throw up endless subdivisions. But yes I will plant things and try my best to conserve water. We will need it to put out the fires

Gosh, these posts make me happy to live across from a lake. I only had one well run dry in my life, and it was not a good feeling.

No plans to reduce. The lakes and streams I get my water from are full to overflowing.

Thread Information