Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden 2021

So sorry for those of you not getting the rain and having the water restrictions. It really must be frustrating. I hope things turn around.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I'm sorry for those of you in drought. It seems to be spreading. Here in Piedmont MD we've been blessed with plenty of rain. I cut back the peonies yesterday. They were wonderful this year, full and so heavy they were nearly bent to the ground even with the 12" support fence. I'll have to put some taller supports in. The dill is growing, nasturiums nibbled by bunnies. The planted milkweed is doing well. Larkspur blooms. Old climbing roses are nearly done. I'm feeling pretty successful this year as I am able to maintain the beds and nothing is out of control, yet.

New in 2021 in my garden, Bearded Iris "Savannah Sunset". I put in 6 plants, and I estimate each plant will produce 6 blossoms this year.

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:
    Its lovliness increases; it will never
    Pass into nothingness.

-- John Keats, Endymion

000_0556 (2).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    New in 2021 in my garden, Bearded Iris "Savannah Sunset". I put in 6 plants, and I estimate each plant will produce 6 blossoms this year.

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:
    Its lovliness increases; it will never
    Pass into nothingness.

-- John Keats, Endymion

000_0556 (2).jpg
    Beautiful! I love the color!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Nice iris! My last tall bearded Iris left the building 11 days ago.

I bought two scented geraniums yesterday, and am in love. I bought orange and lemon. I did not buy pine because I have enough pine scent everywhere I turn in this house, but I can see how you would start collecting them.

Tybee, that is not fair!! I have just decided that I will not look for any more plants and here you go leading me into temptation.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I just bought three lavender plants. True Grosso and Impress...long stems. I've purchased from this lavender farm before and had a mixed result. But I have one that I think is from there- truly I should keep better records! that is HUGE and LONG stemmed and Fragrant. Hoping these three are as lovely. My zinnias have been chewed by some bug. some have survived. Nasturtiums are starting to bloom and fill out. Coneflowers blooming and the wildflower patch I planted in the spring is full. Not in bloom but full of a variety of plants that don't appear to be any of the weeds we usually see. Chestnut is blooming, so the blueberries are a week from peak ripeness. It makes the stink of chestnut a good thing!

I am very happy with my garden so far!

Cucumbers, zucchini, squash, strawberries and herbs interplanted with zinnia, catmint and marigolds so the bees will find it easy to pollinate!
    DH has his own garden of 22 tomato plants (I need to learn how to can in the fall!) and 3 marijuana plants, purchased from the State of Vermont.
    Montmerency cherry trees have a lot of cherries on them and I'm about to go out and harvest some to make a pie.
    We planted some small forsythia saplings from our NJ house so we'll always have a piece of NJ with us.
    My pollinator garden of echinacea, milkweed, aster and balloon flower has increased with new plantings of Columbine, Jacob's Ladder, and common violet.
    My window boxes are really pretty this year!
    Hosta's are just about to bloom.

nswef, I love lavender and have a couple of different varieties--I was thinking of doing a mass border of lavender but a local horticulturist said that lavender aren't really hardy enough for that and I should try Russian sage instead.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    My Russian sage does well in New England.

Thread Information