Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Garden 2021

With this heat I'm worried my tomatoes will not set fruit. They were/are in blossom stage. So far, since we've canopied them---and I've deep watered---, the blossoms are hanging on, but....this is just extreme heat for us. :-(
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

It is turning into another dud year for me, though I used manure and have watered when it was dry.

Parsley and dill are doing okay.

Squash and basil are still alive but have not grown at all in the month since I planted them.

I have a few green tomatoes on one of the dozen plants but nothing ripening. They have been green for a while.

Domesticated strawberries have not produced anything after the two berries the chipmunks took down and took bites out of, although I put netting over them when that happened, even as the wild strawberries flourished.

The pepper plant is a dud too though I generally haven't done well with them and it was a long shot impulse purchase.

I have not noticed bees this year. Maybe that's part of the reason.

The garlic died in the second heat wave.

My tomatoes were duds this summer, too.

I had cherry tomatoes continually for months. Cut the stems back after each harvest and that baby re flushed with flowers and then fruit.

I then planted five different larger varieties. Only one plant set fruit, and they split. This is due to water issues, I know. The rest just looked good but dropped the flowers.
    Last week I pulled them all up and threw in the towel!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Something I am pleased about this year - my Armenian Cucumber (a plant that loves heat, humidity, and hopeless desert clay soil) is doing very well this year. We have to date (unlike last year) already had two heavy monsoon storms move through the Phoenix area this monsoon and Armenian Cucumber loves the muggy hot air. Looking forward to a nice h harvest soon! Rob

My three squash plants have flowered. I'm waiting/hoping for the squash, itself, to appear. Tomato plants are HUGE!!! and full of green cherry tomatoes - anxiously waiting for change to red. I share these plants with the neighbors and we should end up with more than enough for all. Green peppers are doing well; already have two in the fridge. Kale leaves got attacked by something and the radishes are almost done. Need to pull the last of them tomorrow. Just a little bit of lettuce left as well, but it did well.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Apparently, we are in monsoon season - afternoon storms with hail predicted every day this coming week. Pea size hail today shredded squash leaves so going out in the morning to buy poles to improvise some hail coverings. Don't want to lose the 'maters after growing them from seed.

I am jealous IL. This is why farmers abandoned New England and moved to the Midwest in the 1800's.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I am jealous IL. This is why farmers abandoned New England and moved to the Midwest in the 1800's.
    Well ya know, I live with someone who has an advanced degree in vegetable production. He grows small truck- farm quantities of veg.

Onions are one of the few things that I never get tired of. We have a separate refrigerator for apples and onions.

We had a fence put up! There was a time when we had a magnificent hemlock hedge providing a lovely buffer between us and the nearby busy street, but it became overgrown and many of the shrubs/trees died. We had talked about doing this for awhile and we finally did it. We just love the way it makes our yard feel like our sanctuary again. It's a 6-foot tall cedar fence.
    fence1.jpg
    fence2.jpg
    fence3.jpg

Thread Information