Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden 2021

My husband made a sandbox for our kids and it had a lid. It solves the cat problem.

Beautiful day here today. Next door neighbor and I share garden boxes and we went and picked up soil today. They got some plants and I did seeds. Tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, radishes, zucchini and pumpkin have all been planted in various boxes/spots. It's going to be interesting to see what actually grows, as the 4yo insists on digging in the dirt with his trucks. LOL. Fun having the kids help. Hopefully things will grow for them to harvest.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Iris Lily.....do you know you're not supposed to pick any of the asparagus until the second year, and only a few? Then you can start picking more of them by year 3. It lets more of the energy go to making more roots.

We used to have 2 big beds of asparagus and loved it. One has since died off, and the other is dwindling. We found 2 volunteer asparagus beds on our large property, which was good for awhile, but it petered out. I'm thinking of having DS dig a new one this Fall. I love to roast it. Just mix the spears with olive oil, chopped up garlic, S&P, and sprinkle with some grated Parmesan cheese and roast for about 12-15 minutes at 425. Yummy! I can't really taste asparagus, but I like the stuff I put on it, and I know it's healthy.

I'm trying to make my garden smaller this year, since my legs and hands are so bad. DH moved one of my 70 gallon raised stock tanks out and helped me move the cattle panel arch closer to the rest of the garden. I grow cucumbers over it. I'll again plant Waltham Butternut squash to grow up fencing on my kids old swingset, and I'll plant bush and pole beans, tomatoes, peppers, swiss chard and kale and spinach. We're still eating the frozen squash and green beans from last year. Oh, and I'm growing zucchini again in my back yard in 2 big pots. I'm going to try to grow it up a trellis. I saw that on a You Tube. I had to move the zucchini from the rest of the garden because it was attracting too many squash bugs. I've learned to kill them, then apologize. Can't wait for marinated cucumber, onion, tomato salads!! And it's a relief that I know some of these plants will be available in stores now. Last year at the start of the pandemic, I feared they wouldn't be available and started a lot of my own. That's a lot of work! Fortunately, plants ended up being available, so I had back-up to my spindly plants. Now, if we just can get the weather to cooperate. Oh, and I always grow rosemary to dry, and parsley to attract butterflies.....

I didn’t know that about asparagus. I think this might be there second or third year for it? We were on that property for three springs so don’t know. But next year I expect it to really take off.

Very cool cactus garden, Sioux.
    My Meyer lemon tree I grew from seed is now 10 years old. For the first time ever, it has a bloom on it.

Gosh, I can't imagine having a lemon tree in my yard! Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Gosh, I can't imagine having a lemon tree in my yard! Cool!
    No, it's in a pot in my living room! In South Carolina, it was in the ground, but not up north.

I had a meal with asparagus gleaned from flower beds...Not from the asparagus bed which has been disappointing, but those volunteer plants produce a meal or two every year!

So today, Mother's Day, I went and got more dirt. Had started peas, some kind of cherry peppers and yellow tomatoes as seeds and all are now in containers outside. (Yes, I'm once again trying container gardening, but just these three containers - lol). Also planted kale, radishes and cauliflower seeds in the last raised bed. Supposed to rain today, so letting Mother Nature water for me. Done planting and time to see what grows!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Things are growing!!! LOL. It's so thrilling to see the little plants popping up through the dirt and knowing they were just little seeds not too long ago! The lettuce and leaf veggies have yet to show themselves... time will tell. But most everything else seems to be thriving!

Continued thanks to everyone for their help and motivation!

Thread Information