Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden 2021

I'm so psyched! DH helped DS clean out his back yard--a nice, rectangular, deep city plot surrounded by a tall stockade fence. So without all the junky stuff it's almost like a blank canvas and DS and DDIL want me to help them design it! A small manageable vegetable plot, a "starter" perennial garden for some pizazz, and ideas for "set it and forget it" options for their busy family. Plus ideas for placement of a dining/picnic table and a sandbox for the kids.

I'm on it!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Have fun!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Sounds like a fun project, catherine!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Catherine, tell us what you end up doing with the space. I only have one thing to say about sandbox and that is – have they thought about neighborhood cats using it? It’s an attractive nuisance for cats.

What fun, Catherine! Enjoy the planning! a triangular pollinator area at each corner of the garden plot is what our local Extension Service has- e annuals,cosmos, zinnas, I think...don't remember, but they mark off the "garden plot" nicely with color and design. I just planted the sweet peas that I soaked yesterday. It's warmer today so may even get some weeding done! soak more seeds- hyacinth beans for starting, nasturiums for starting and sweet peas for planting. I LOVE spring!!!!

Insto-Presto Cactus Garden, from the largess of my neighbors! Apparently all you have to do is stick the paddles in the ground, kick a little dirt around the base and add a little water and walk away. They have evolved to root themselves pretty easily in this harsh high desert landscape. We have a big yard full of dirt to attempt to landscape, so I am trying to divide it up into sections with rock-lined walkways and plant with native vegetation. HUGE learning curve here, as it is NOTHING like planting in Michigan! Plus, you have to protect everything green from the rabbits and squirrels...

Cactus Paddles 1.jpgCactus Paddles 2.jpgCholla 2.jpg

Yppej
    Some parsley is coming up on its own from last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Some parsley is coming up on its own from last year.
    Yes, my curly parsley is coming back, not flat-leafed. Parsley is biennial, and from what I've learned, it might not be as tasty as it was last year. But it's so great to see it greening up the herb garden!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

SouizQ- Exciting about the cacti. Keep us informed. Here my starters of zinnia and nasturtium have come up so are on the porch getting lots of sun...One lonely milkweed sprout in a pot - Lots of weeding of flower beds, peonies about a foot tall, gladiolus bulbs sprouting (can't believe it's the 3rd year they have come back.- along with some snapdragon plants.) I pruned the roses and lavender, bought a water heater pan to use as a big enough bird bath for robin baths! I'm looking at a little solar portable fountain thing to put in it to move the water around...or to put in the other birdbath. I just LOVE spring in Maryland!

This year my reliable tall bearded iris that always pops open on April 24 did not pop open due to cold weather.

I do have another cultivar of TB iris open, but it is shortened by the cold weather.

Thread Information