Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden 2021

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Things are growing!!! LOL. It's so thrilling to see the little plants popping up through the dirt and knowing they were just little seeds not too long ago! The lettuce and leaf veggies have yet to show themselves... time will tell. But most everything else seems to be thriving!

Continued thanks to everyone for their help and motivation!
    Yay!!! it is thrilling!!

I planted zucchini from seed a couple of weeks ago, and it was the first time I did a direct sow up here in VT, but I have 3 seeds sprouting on each of 3 different mounds! I'm psyched! Problem is, I hedged my bets by buying seedlings a week ago, and I see now that I won't need them.. and I don't have space for them, so I'll have to find someone to give them to.

Spring is definitely here!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    We got hot (90's) weather already so I feel behind. The tomatoes are in and I will buy the rest of my plants and put them in tonight inshallah.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Things are growing!!! LOL. It's so thrilling to see the little plants popping up through the dirt and knowing they were just little seeds not too long ago! The lettuce and leaf veggies have yet to show themselves... time will tell. But most everything else seems to be thriving!

Continued thanks to everyone for their help and motivation!
    Glad that it is working out for you. I am struggling with shade impacting the desired (8) number of hours of sun. The biggest challenge is the shade from my house and the one next door. I am trying more pots this year but the effort to heave, fill these pots has made me think that next year the number will be less. My spring enthusiasm overtakes my energy at times. I will focus on those veggies that need just 6 hours or so next year. Please remind me next year
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Glad that it is working out for you. I am struggling with shade impacting the desired (8) number of hours of sun. The biggest challenge is the shade from my house and the one next door. I am trying more pots this year but the effort to heave, fill these pots has made me think that next year the number will be less. My spring enthusiasm overtakes my energy at times. I will focus on those veggies that need just 6 hours or so next year. Please remind me next year
    I have two pots that are very slow growing, but they ARE growing so far! I agree with the spring enthusiasm overtaking energy. Good luck!

Thanks, catherine! I hope you find a taker on the seedlings.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    Planted the rest of the garden - butternut and spaghetti squash, parsley (since what came up on its own has turned scraggly), dill, and an impulse orange pepper. I found some garlic coming up that I forgot I planted. If it starts to go bad in the fridge and the ground is not frozen I stick it in the ground.

We replaced the raw, natural tree limb edging that our prior owners had used with new cedar boxes lthat we built ourselves this weekend. I expanded my pollinator garden to include Jacob's ladder, native Columbine and common violet (from my son's house)--I also used the large rocks from the veggie garden edging to give the pollinator garden kind of a woodland/rock garden vibe.

Also planted some veggies--we'll be doing tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, zucchini, and our typical herbs--parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme (I love that Simon and Garfunkel song) as well as mint, chives, and lavender.

Today we're building a new compost bin.

Thank you cold, nasty weather! If it were sunny and hot, we'd have done a lot less work and a lot more play!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

This year I honestly can say I am not always 3 steps behind the garden.

Last year was such a monster of work to move and mark iris, prepare their new beds, move them again…ugh. Most of that work is done, This summer I need move only odds and ends iris.

I can start digging up other plants to move to hermann: ferns, clematis, lily of the valley, hellebores. I wont move hostas yet because I don’t know where they’re going to go in Hermann. They have to go very very close to the house because the damn deer eat them like salad. I’m not even sure I’ll be able to bring many to Hermann, I don’t know yet.

In Hermann so far this year deer have decimated tall phlox. That surprises me that that’s the one plant they are picking out of all the perennials there. They did chop off the top of one Lily which didn’t surprise me, but so far they’ve left all the other lilies.

But man do they ever love tall phlox! That’s too bad because it’s such a strong perennial and it looks great in a cottage garden and it spreads itself.

My area in the community garden is under control although it’s always in need of some weeding. Then there’s an adjacent section that I share with other new gardeners and I just get in there and weed it because I don’t want them in there weeding because they don’t know anything.

Early season greens are petering out. I had to rush and get all my native plant seedlings in since we are leaving for Tx. I ended up sticking them here and there without a lot of planning other than tall in back etc. It is so delightful watch everything come back after so many months of winter. All the irises are blooming now with some surprises - one patch that appear to be shades of brown which I have never seen. There will be lots of surprises when I get back with all the rain we have been having. Unless the seasonal hail storms decimate everything. And so it goes.

Iris, Talll phlox- haven't had a deer problem with them, yet, but hosts-yes..salad bar for the 4 foots. Then there're are the vary closely puned rhododendron and azalea- about 2 feet up from the ground all pruned quite neatly. Hungry critters. I love the tall phlox! Good luck keeping them.

I don’t garden but I loved to buy 6 big pots of flowers to put on the patio wall. Now my balcony is shaded because of a big tree so had to put 2 plants that don’t need sun.

Thread Information