Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden 2021

I had a couple of what the nursery called Colorado Four O'clock. Possibly one of the hardiest plants I've had. Planted in my full sun xeric area next to the sidewalk. Walkers would comment on them even though they only opened their blooms later in the day. Unfortunately, they self seeded like mad and there were so many blossoms it would have been impossible to dead head. I finally removed them for that reason and had volunteers for a couple of years afterward. If my experience is anything to compare, I'd think they should do well from seed.

Our teen age garden helper called the other day to ask if we needed him!!! Yay! He's coming Monday for 2 hours. He's 15 or 16 now, we were afraid he would be "too old" to work here and have another job elsewhere for the summer. So I have a list of jobs for him. He's much stronger and more skilled than when he first came in 2019. I'm so happy!!

I always buy 6 potted plants with flowers for my patio that only live through the warmer weather and then they die. So 6 years ago I bought this pretty green one with no flowers thinking it was the same. In the fall it wouldn’t seem to die even after I left it outside in the cold and stopped watering it. Now it lives inside in the winter and out the rest of the year. It prefers the outside and looks better than.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Our teen age garden helper called the other day to ask if we needed him!!! Yay! He's coming Monday for 2 hours. He's 15 or 16 now, we were afraid he would be "too old" to work here and have another job elsewhere for the summer. So I have a list of jobs for him. He's much stronger and more skilled than when he first came in 2019. I'm so happy!!
    Lucky you!!!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Bright sunny day today and got me thinking about the garden boxes outside. Thinking it may be time to start some seeds inside!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Someone was right. The native four o'clocks took off and now I have 15 little pots of them. Unfortunately, we are back in winter again and all my various seedlings must wait another few weeks to go in the ground.

I'm soaking the sweet pea seeds and deciding where to plant them. I love the scent and look of them. Some years they thrive, others...not at all. I have volunteer four o clocks and hopefully larkspur, but I bought seeds just in case. I'm trying a new nasturtium seed, too.

I love the scent and look of them.
    Me too. Particularly the old fashioned fragrant ones. They look like a watercolor painting in the vase. Another flower with similar watercolor-like colors is this particular snapdragon: https://www.selectseeds.com/rare-ant...nia_seeds.aspx . I like snaps in general, just wish they lasted a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    I'm soaking the sweet pea seeds and deciding where to plant them. I love the scent and look of them. Some years they thrive, others...not at all. I have volunteer four o clocks and hopefully larkspur, but I bought seeds just in case. I'm trying a new nasturtium seed, too.

My Hermann house came with volunteer sweet peas. They always come up in the same place and I am not sure if they are perennial or self seeding in the same places. Down the block I see the mother planting where mine most likely came from.

I strewed larkspur seeds all over but have not seen one! Odd, because they thrive in my city garden. I am optimistic about getting them started, just need to keep trying. Am still trying to get annual poppies started in
    Hermann, no luck so far. Oddly, am having trouble getting perennial coreopsis and pink primrose started in Hermann while in my city gardens they are practically weeds.

I strewed larkspur seeds all over but have not seen one!
    I almost never can get them to germinate when and where I want them, but they continue to come up in random places that never had larkspur before. I have this issue with dill: it'll come up "wild" somewhere but almost never where I sowed it.

Thread Information