Thread: April is the cruelest...

April is the cruelest...

from "The Waste Land", by T S Eliot:

April is the cruelest month, breeding
    Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
    Memories and desire, stirring
    Dull roots with spring rain...

Eliot and his wife caught the Spanish Flu in 1918 and survived. It was a pandemic, which killed millions. He wrote most of The Waste Land during his recovery.

This April is cruel with COVID-19. In my county there have been zero new cases in the past 7 days. About 15% of the population in this neck of the woods has had the series of vaccinations, and I expect the percentage will keep going up. But will it go above 50%? I would be pleasantly surprised to see it.

Many fine people in my county have no intention of getting a vaccination. One cannot say what the future holds for our unvaccinated population. Maybe they will be just fine. Dr. Anthony Fauci would probably say, "Don't bet on it".
    Last edited by dado potato; 3-31-21 at 10:31pm.

You live in a county with few people and smallish communities. Still not a smart decision IMO.

I'm not optimistic that we'll get enough people vaccinated to reach herd immunity, at least in some specific places. More likely it seems that we'll see covid simmering along for another year or two until all/most of the people who refused the vaccine have had the illness. Sadly that also means that people for whom the vaccine doesn't work will remain at risk and also suffer from the anti-vaxer selfishness.

In my county 35% have been fully vaccinated and 58% have had the first shot. I wish everywhere was at this level.

Read.. so far 70% of those age 65 and up have been vaccinated and 30% of others statewide.

As of yesterday, Indiana is as follows:
    Hoosiers vaccinated or scheduled:
    Age 80+: 74 percent
    Age 70-79: 77 percent
    Age 60-69: 66 percent
    Age 50-59: 48 percent
    Age 40-49: 35 percent
    Age 30-39: 25 percent
    Age 20-29: 10 percent
    Age 16-19: 7 percent
    The state is working to track what it calls breakthrough cases where a Hoosier tests positive for COVID-19 at least two weeks after being fully vaccinated. To date, the state has tracked 221 of these breakout cases.

Thread Information