Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kondo Fatigue

Not surprised it’s men washing colors together, not folding or putting away. Heathens)

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Not surprised it’s men washing colors together, not folding or putting away. Heathens)
    Add me to the heathens. When I wash an article for the first time, I check for colour fastness. I always wash in cold water and throw everything in together unless it creates lint like towels. I keep anything that collects lint apart. Soon even the lint is not an issue. I separate bulky items like fleece sheets from small items to ensure all get well cleaned.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    But I have always suspected [Kondo] was a bit of a scam (but not everyone finds a way to turn their idiosyncrasies into a living) with the spark joy stuff. It's all barking up the wrong tree: joy is not in stuff. I don't even much agree with having things that are useful and beautiful. Mostly have things that are useful, the useful things CAN ALSO be beautiful, but mostly useful. Form follows function. Ok, ok a *small* amount of just beautiful things like art is okay. And of course containers can help with organizing, but a drawer is *already* a container, no need to get all redundant.
    Kondo is OCD for sure, but what she says is consistent enough with Japanese minimalism and Japanese (Shinto) spiritualism and other aspects of Japanese culture for me to believe she's totally for real.

As far as "a drawer is already a container..." If you really believe that, then you must dump all your cooking knives and silverware and other food-related stuff into a single kitchen cabinet drawer in a random unsorted pile instead of using some kind of divider to keep them organized. And who says the whole world is full of drawers? Most closets and storage rooms and laundry rooms that I'm familiar with have shelves, not drawers.

And I agree Kondo's position that everything in your house should "spark joy" is too extreme, but your "Joy is not in stuff" position is just a far wrong in the opposite direction. It's not just a few beautiful things that can spark joy. I have a small plastic pill bottle I filled with beach sand on a very special morning during a teenage vacation. It sparks joy every time I see it, and it is neither beautiful nor art. I also have some other things that likewise spark joy because of what they mean to me. Some are cute or beautiful or useful, and some are not, but they all spark joy. And I have other things that spark joy just because of how useful they are or how much easier having them makes doing some of the work that has to be done in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I use less detergent than the bottle says, no extra rinse cycle.
    I also use less detergent than the bottle says, but I do use the extra rinse cycle because I discovered that even using reduced detergent it doesn't all rinse out. Try this: load the washer with dirty clothes and don't put in any detergent. Stop the washer during the wash cycle and again near the end of the rinse cycle to see how much suds you have from just the detergent that was left in your clothes during previous washings.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post

As far as "a drawer is already a container..." If you really believe that, then you must dump all your cooking knives and silverware and other food-related stuff into a single kitchen cabinet drawer in a random unsorted pile instead of using some kind of divider to keep them organized. .
    Don't know about you but kitchen doesn't have 1 gigantic drawer. Yes, items are in their drawers (I have 8 in my small kitchen to be precise). With exception of a silverware tray, there are no containers. And I don't have trouble grabbing what I need.

I tend to bliss out in container stores, but my ultimate goal should be needing less of them.

The most interesting thing to me about Marie Kondo is that a lesbian relative of mine has a crush on her.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I tend to bliss out in container stores, but my ultimate goal should be needing less of them.
    I've actually started using the empty storage containers as my donation bins.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I've actually started using the empty storage containers as my donation bins.
    I just packaged a few donations in a burlap basmati rice bag; probably that doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I just packaged a few donations in a burlap basmati rice bag; probably that doesn't count.
    I've done the same thing, so I say "yes", it does count.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Don't know about you but kitchen doesn't have 1 gigantic drawer. Yes, items are in their drawers (I have 8 in my small kitchen to be precise). With exception of a silverware tray, there are no containers. And I don't have trouble grabbing what I need.
    But you DO have a silverware tray, which by ApatheticNoMore's logic is "redundant" because it's "a container within a container".

Some items are most efficiently stored and organized by keeping them in containers on shelves, or containers inside of cabinets, or even containers within containers. There is a sweet spot somewhere between too much containerization and not enough, and ApatheticNoMore's simplistic statement about containers in drawers totally misses that.

Besides, you know damn good and well I wasn't talking about the kitchen having only one huge drawer, so stop feigning naivety.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    And of course containers can help with organizing, but a drawer is *already* a container, no need to get all redundant.

Correction Note:
    Gardnr was replying to my reply to something ApatheticNoMore wrote. In this post I accidentally attributed ApatheticNoMore's post to Gardnr. I've edited this post to correct that. Mea Culpa.
    Last edited by GeorgeParker; 4-5-21 at 5:10pm. Reason: Corrected mis-attribution

Thread Information