Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kondo Fatigue

Yppej

Kondo Fatigue

I liked Marie Kondo's ideas once, but now I am getting tired of all the shoe boxes I put things in. They break down over time, some of them collect dust, and if the lid is on them I can't see what's inside. I am slowly reverting to boxless.

I didn’t know she advocated putting things in shoeboxes. I’ve never actually read the book.

Right now I’m contemplating two closets in my condo. This whole condo is so cute it has five closets. Unbelievable. Anyway – I was going to pull two of them out and make drawers at waist level and below, and perhaps some pretty cabinetry above. And I still may do that. But I will live with it for a year as is because I may find these two closets are fine.

What is prompting this post is that I envisioned in these closets with shelves, putting things in baskets or boxes of some sort that can just pull out as conveniently as a drawer.

I've gotten Kondo fatigue in terms of folding underwear. I'm done with the 4 fold thing and I'm back to just tossing it in my drawer.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I read the book and got a couple of good takeaways, but I did not change the way I stored or folded items. I think she is a bit nutty, but she is obviously very successful, so good for her. I already had my own systems and methods in place for storing and organizing items. I think her "sparks joy" assessment is just a catchy way of restating William Morris' quote, “Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.”

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I've gotten Kondo fatigue in terms of folding underwear. I'm done with the 4 fold thing and I'm back to just tossing it in my drawer.
    Folding underwear seems like a supreme waste of time. I just have a flat stack of it in the drawer.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Folding underwear seems like a supreme waste of time. I just have a flat stack of it in the drawer.
    Come on, JP, this is what you SHOULD be doing:

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I do fold in half, which isn't much harder than not folding them at all.

My husband folds the laundry and my underwear drawer looks like Marie's....and I am NOT tidy, but I love to open that drawer. He also folds the sheets marvelously...towels and washcloths...

I have never read anything Kondo related, but do fold my underwear with the first three folds in the video. Not one for have rolled-up items in drawers so don't take it any further than that.

I also gave up storing things in containers that I could see thru a long time ago. I hate having to open several boxes to find the item I'm looking for!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I read the book but like Rosa kept my own folding and storage methods. I do fold my underwear.

Thread Information