Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kondo Fatigue

She's created an industry of "needed" storage containers. So people get rid of stuff including money to her. Capitalism at it's finest. I prefer my system of remaining decluttered and organization without containers.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Folding underwear seems like a supreme waste of time. I just have a flat stack of it in the drawer.
    My life is too short to fold things like that.

I wear mostly easy-to-care-for clothing, and when it is just me living here, I often use the washing machine as my dirty clothes bin, running it when full. The bins in the laundry room contain clean, dry clothes out of the dryer, and I just grab the day's clothes out of the bin directly.

No folding, no putting away.

I feel like I'm doing market research. I don't know your names but I know intimate details of what you do with your underwear.
    If I could get about 40 more people to weigh in I could probably sell this information to someone. Kondo? Hanes? California Closets?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

In the interest of market research, I skimmed the book but didn’t change much in my life. I have clothes that last for years and simply recycle the same ones each week with modification due to cold and warm outside temperatures - longer sleeves, cords, socks and shoes in winter, tshirts, capris and sandals in the summer. I wash and wear everything each week.
    I keep life simple but have a few dress-up outfits as well.
    Scarves are my clutter items with a wide selection of them that I do cycle through.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

(pssssst! Is anyone shocked that bae apparently does not separate his whites and his dark colored clothes to wash them?)

I suppose it’s possible that he didn’t have any whites.

I know I will confess that I have been known to throw whites and darks together because I just want to get them washed. Are usually do that on a warm cycle.

Now for Catherine‘s research:

DH, who you will know as a guy who collects a little more stuff than what I’d like him to collect, and then makes neat piles with it, must always fold his underwear. I do not fold it for him.He takes it out of the clean laundry basket and fold it and put it away or else I dump it on the bed and he folds it and puts it away.
    I tossed my underwear into the drawer.

Women’s underwear is much smaller than men’s so it takes up less volume when not folded.???

I find it hard to imagine anyone with an actual clutter problem being helped by being made to fold underwear. But maybe it taps into some of the same brain circuits as compulsive buying and refusal to get rid of anything does (as opposed to just being disorganized which seems the polar opposite of this. Then like a drawer for underwear is an improvement, and maybe good enough! ). Just your random pseudo psychology speculation of the day.

But I have always suspected she was a bit of a scam (but not everyone finds a way to turn their idiosyncrasies into a living) with the spark joy stuff. It's all barking up the wrong tree: joy is not in stuff. I don't even much agree with having things that are useful and beautiful. Mostly have things that are useful, the useful things CAN ALSO be beautiful, but mostly useful. Form follows function. Ok, ok a *small* amount of just beautiful things like art is okay. And of course containers can help with organizing, but a drawer is *already* a container, no need to get all redundant.
    Trees don't grow on money

I have no whites :-). I buy everything in basically compatible colors, wash on cold, use less detergent than the bottle says, no extra rinse cycle.

If an item of clothing can’t handle this, it goes away. Wool objects and other odds and ends get hand washed as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I have no whites :-). I buy everything in basically compatible colors, wash on cold, use less detergent than the bottle says, no extra rinse cycle.

If an item of clothing can’t handle this, it goes away. Wool objects and other odds and ends get hand washed as needed.
    Catherine is right. Now we know the innermost details of another's laundry!!! Where does one draw the line in this kind of behaviour?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Catherine is right. Now we know the innermost details of another's laundry!!! Where does one draw the line in this kind of behaviour?
    LOL - too funny!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Office Depot and various other places sell various sizes of clear plastic boxes that let you see what is inside without pulling them out or opening them. Some have lids, some don't. Some of the available metal wire baskets sold at Lowes etc are perfect for storing clothes or other things. If you look around you can find all kinds of containers that are more practical and much longer-lasting than cardboard shoeboxes or the flimsy plastic junk boxes you find in dollar stores. Buy good baskets/boxes that will last 10-20 years and you'll be much happier than buying cheap plastic or stylish-but-poorly-made baskets.

Marla Dee has a much better system than Kondo so I always recommend this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfBF5n5kTQA even though I find Marla Dee's voice and attitude annoying.

Clotheswise I do basically the same thing Bae does: Dirty clothes in one basket, clean clothes in a different basket. New clothes get washed with similar colors the first few times to get rid of excess dye, but after that everything gets washed together on cool or warm. I do laundry once a week. Clean clothes that can or should be hung up get hung up on fat hangers to prevent shoulder creases caused by thin hangers. Stuff that doesn't wrinkle goes in the clean clothes basket. Sheets, blankets, and other bulky stuff go in a different (BIG) basket and don't get folded. Towels go in the clothes basket because I change my hand towel and kitchen towel daily and my bath towel twice a week. I would NEVER fold my socks or underpants.

Thread Information