Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: April Frugals

I would take the upgrade. I hope it’s a good car.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    On the car front they are offering me a no cost upgrade from a subcompact to a compact that I will probably take since they still cannot figure out the problem. It is still a Kia which does not thrill me but the only other thing they offered was a Nissan which has a worse reliability record.
    Yppej, are they offering a Forte or a Soul? Both of them have a different, more powerful engine than the Rio (though fuel mileage stays about the same). Both will offer noticeably more passenger room, too. I would turn down a Nissan, too.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Yppej, are they offering a Forte or a Soul? Both of them have a different, more powerful engine than the Rio (though fuel mileage stays about the same). Both will offer noticeably more passenger room, too. I would turn down a Nissan, too.
    The Forte. I signed the papers last night but my insurance agency's system was down so I will try them again to switch coverage.

The Forte. I signed the papers last night but my insurance agency's system was down so I will try them again to switch coverage.
    Gee, sounds like it may work out for you! A little hassle for a better car at the same price! Good luck with it!

As for my April frugal, I did drop the hint about the Soda Stream for my birthday and my DH picked up on it and got me a Drinkmate. Immediately I loved it. No recycling, great bubbles, little counter space (important) and non-electric.

So we were wondering if the soda syrups were any good but I was reluctant to buy a couple because if we didn't like them they'd be a waste of money. A few days ago, on our local little online forum, someone said she got some flavors by mistake and she doesn't have to pay for them, so would anyone like them. I got the diet root beer for DH, and it's great! Tastes like any good diet root beer you'd buy.

The cheapest alternative of course is to simply carbonate filtered water from your own sink/refrigerator filter. Each set of 2 CO2 canister costs $60 and makes 120 liters, so that's .50 a liter, but you also get an exchange rebate for the canisters of $25 so that cuts the cost per liter considerably--almost in half. That doesn't take into account how much you'd have to use it to break even on the gadget itself, but still... take into consideration if you buy soda from the store, the lugging of the soda bottles home and having to recycle them, I think I think the home soda maker is great.

If you add the flavors it ups the total cost to about $1 a liter. Still not horrible. Up here we wind up having to get soda or seltzer at the local place which is more expensive than the deal-of-the-week at the supermarket, so I do think we're going to save a lot of money. DH drinks a ton of soda every day, and I do like seltzer plus a "special" drink in the afternoon like a kombucha or a ginger beer, so my Drinkmate will definitely count as an April frugal for me.

Yppej, I think you suggested this in another thread about recycling, so thanks!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Oh rats, I didnt get here in time!

The SOUL is nice, I like its styling. It is always the car I think about getting when I consider trading out our current SUV.

catherine I find it funny that you and others actually ADD carbonation to your drinks! I dislike those fizzy bubbly drinks, the stuff goes up my nose.

I've considered the Drinkmate too, so thanks for the timely review! Were those SodaStream flavors?
    I've lately developed a fizzy water habit, and now I'm awash in cans...

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I've considered the Drinkmate too, so thanks for the timely review! Were those SodaStream flavors?
    I've lately developed a fizzy water habit, and now I'm awash in cans...
    Yes, the flavors are SodaStream: the root beer we tried is this one: https://sodastream.com/products/diet-root-beer-4-pack

And I don't typically like diet sodas, but this one was really good
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I may look at the flavourings as well now that I have been alerted to that option of diet drink.

Special gratitude. DD1 wanted a Soda Stream for their cottage so I was watching for one on sale. My favourite grocery store had a tax-free sale, the Soda Stream was on sale and attached to the box was a special $20 discount coupon. Sooo, drum roll please, I bought a regularly $149 unit for $50. I may go and add some of the flavourings for first get-together as we have not visited since I bought it. Love it when everything unfolds so wonderfully.
    I only use my Soda Stream in the warm months as I prefer tea the rest of the year.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

So I could use one of these to make flavored carbonated water? Right now I spent 1.50/day drinking 4 cans.

That is my understanding TT. The soda companies use the same water as that coming out of your tap but add flavouring and CO2 and that is it. Others will correct anything contrary to this.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information