Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-Solution "Solutions"

Yppej

Question Non-Solution "Solutions"

Joe Biden proposes to forgive some student loan debt but not do anything to control educational inflation so it will help some with current debts but not help those taking out loans in the future. A permanent solution would be Bernie Sanders's free community college.

This reminds me of immigration. Amnesty is granted to a group that has been here X number of years but nothing is done to address the root cause of illegal immigration so fast forward a decade or two and you get another amnesty/pathway to citizenship proposal.

Why is there a question mark in front of my title?

Yppej, you are right that neither solves these 2 issues.

I think these things make more sense if we ask whose problems they are aimed at. If I am a president looking for ways to pander to my relatively affluent constituents, a $10K gift without the battle a larger structural change would cost me could be a nice interim solution. If I am a president hoping to ingratiate myself with a voting block where my party has seen some slippage recently, an amnesty might give me at least a temporary boost.

No real change is coming from either party. The infrastructure bill spends less on infrastructure than other items. The stimulus plan gives more money to corporations than individuals. The democrats on the whole give more money to people than corporations so that’s somewhat better. No party has the stomach for real change.

When I consider the “real change” some wish to impose, I thank my primitive sky god and our slave-owning founders for the precious gift of gridlock.

I don't know if any of this is really the answer to anything. Community college is ALREADY FREE here. States can do this if they want to. But it's overcrowded. What did anyone expect if they make it free and don't build more schools and hire more staff? Okay, truth it was overcrowded even before it was free. Maybe the demographics will eventually improve with less young people.

The majority of community college students never even transfer to a 4 year school. It serves as a means of weeding 60% or more of people out I guess, maybe that is the purpose. And the next two years aren't free, and they are overcrowded. And desperately needed programs like more training for nurses has such a wait list through community colleges that people have to go to private for-profit colleges for it anyway!!! And nothing is done about it.
    Trees don't grow on money

Princeton and several other such schools are essentially free if you can’t afford them, and don’t allow their students to graduate with debt.

I saw a news program that made a lot of sense to me regarding jobs and education. Various corporations and manufacturers spend the money to train US workers for very specific job skills and then employ them at a decent salary. I guess its hard to find qualified employees these days and I suppose there is a tax incentive for these programs.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Princeton and several other such schools are essentially free if you can’t afford them, and don’t allow their students to graduate with debt.
    Isn't that because Princeton has the largest endowment fund of US colleges/universities? I know that used to be true.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Gridlock can be a beautiful thing! When I say real change I mean stop having huge debt, sto giving money in the form of tax breaks, etc for corporations and the wealthy. I am far from radical. Poland for example has a basic public health care for all. If you want care faster or prefer private care you pay for it. It’s still affordable and my kids do that when they visit. My son had a special X-ray that’s a thousand here and paid 100 there.

Thread Information