Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best thing I got at a thrift shop

rodeosweetheart

Smile Best thing I got at a thrift shop

I just had a big day at the thrift shop--thought it might be fun to post any special finds--mine were:
    a new graphite fishing rod for $5
    a Revere ware percolater for $8
    Blue mason jar for $1
    2 pillows for my motel chairs $2:

Anybody else find anything great this week?

one of the best thing was my American Harvester fruit dryer for $2

Went for clothing to travel with and got these"
    A lovely pale pink cotton slipover sweater
    A gorgeous silk grey cut velvet jacket
    A pretty eggplant satin camisole
    An aqua long sleeved t-shirt

All for $20. Yay Goodwill!

my daughter who wears a size 4 has gotten several nice summer dresses. When she worked fast food, she found all the dark pants she needed for less than $20. I'm usually left out of the deals because all the "fat women" clothes are gone or worn to a frazzle.............

I have never bought anything at a thrift store. I have donated TONS of stuff. Three big bags today. But my FIL was an avid
    shopper. Got us our fireplace set, wooden Knife holder block, vacuum, egg holder for frig. My wife would sooner die than shop at a thrift store. I reminded her of all the nice stuff she has donated (Talbots, Eddie Bauer, Lands End, etc.) and some with the tags still on! I thought I would go shopping this week - they gave me a 20% off coupon when I donated today.

Well, thank goodness for folks like you and your wife, Greg44.....that's what we thrift shoppers like to see....folks who donate the stuff by the ton, some with the tags still on, and don't go into the stores to buy anything themselves. Thank you for your service!!!!!

So, don't start any new habits....just donate that 20% off coupon to some person heading into the thrift store to shop, who doesn't look affluent enough to buy new....of course, there's no way of telling whether or not he or she ISN'T a millionaire, just because they're heading in the door of a thrift store to shop, hahahaha......

bless ALL the people who donate all that good stuff..........we appreciate it, we dyed in the wool thrift store shoppers.......

Quote Originally Posted by Greg44 View Post
    I have never bought anything at a thrift store. I have donated TONS of stuff. Three big bags today. But my FIL was an avid
    shopper. Got us our fireplace set, wooden Knife holder block, vacuum, egg holder for frig. My wife would sooner die than shop at a thrift store. I reminded her of all the nice stuff she has donated (Talbots, Eddie Bauer, Lands End, etc.) and some with the tags still on! I thought I would go shopping this week - they gave me a 20% off coupon when I donated today.
    Greg, it's such a treasure hunt! Of course, my vintage dishes thing started in a thrift store... which led to my researching the history of American commercial pottery - very interesting - and of outfitting all my friends & fam is lovely clothing. Most of my very cool & hip furniture is from the GW; various eras of classic profiles & amazing finishes.

I definitely could not afford a red leather chair & matching ottoman without the GW!! Or have summer & winter curtain sets... or cashmere loungewear... or 40's jewelry... you get the idea. I re-sell some too, though it's not my primary gig. I do know a woman who is a re-seller, we see each other all the time there, and she's financing her daughter's PhD with GW resales! She claims to be netting 5K a month, which I believe.

SO, yeah, it's fun. And what loosechickens said - thank your wife for all of us.

In a California thrift store I once got a really nice fleece pullover. Our local thrift stores are meh, so my finds tend to be household goods. I got a picnic basket to store my knitting, an old suitcase set from the 50's to store the DVD player and to hide the X Box player in the living room, and an old fashioned coffee pot as a prop for an activity I teach.
    Formerly known as Blithe Morning II

My glorious, colorful collection of cashmere sweaters and my great jeans!

A brand-new leather laptop bag.

Thread Information