Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cruise lines during covid

Cruise lines during covid

What a fascinating video about how the cruise lines have dealt with covid. From getting the crews home to figuring out the least costly way of maintaining their existence until they can get back to business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4dOCfWlgBw&t=1s

Interesting video. I've never taken a cruise, but wouldn't mind doing an Alaskan one. (Although I imagine even those sites have changed with global warming). I feel for the communities that were so dependent on the tourist money for the local economy.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Interesting video. I've never taken a cruise, but wouldn't mind doing an Alaskan one. (Although I imagine even those sites have changed with global warming). I feel for the communities that were so dependent on the tourist money for the local economy.
    A friend and I were booked on an Alaskan cruise a year ago until covid caused a cancellation of everything. Not sure if I would consider doing it in the next year but I am sure that cruises and tours generated a lot of local income during the tourist season. I didn't like being crammed with so many people in a confined space during a cruise but many enjoyed them.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I love cruising. When Canada opens up my youngest son and I will take one there. My best friend wants to go on one so her and I will do that too and 2022 is Europe.

My good friend's son works for a major cruise line and when the pandemic struck he was out at sea and wound up for weeks docked in the Philippines with just the crew and nothing to do. And when they were allowed to return home they practically went around the world to get there.

I have never been on a cruise and I wouldn't mind trying one just out of curiosity, but DH has no interest at all. He would like to do a European river cruise, but they are so expensive I don't think it's in the cards.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

TT, interesting that you are planning trips. While I love traveling whenever money and opportunity coincide, I am not gung-ho to do so at present. I have not found the pandemic restrictions confining as I was and am content. I might consider more parts of Canada next year but no long range plans.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    My good friend's son works for a major cruise line and when the pandemic struck he was out at sea and wound up for weeks docked in the Philippines with just the crew and nothing to do. And when they were allowed to return home they practically went around the world to get there.

I have never been on a cruise and I wouldn't mind trying one just out of curiosity, but DH has no interest at all. He would like to do a European river cruise, but they are so expensive I don't think it's in the cards.
    That’s the only cruise I would do, European river cruises. My friends who are in their 80s who travel a lot have done a couple of those, the Russian one, and The Balkans. The woman in the couple wants to go to Southeast Asia as do I, and she talked to me about going with them. But when I looked at the route– so much of it is traversing across land to get to another river. No I don’t think so, not cruising there.

I am glad to have these friends who travel extensively. They went to morocco a couple years ago and I had them over for dinner to look at their pictures and talk extensively about what they saw. Morocco had always been on my “would like to see” list. But after this talk with them, I crossed it off because I have many places I want to go, and frankly that is desert land. It’s dry brown land. You all know how I feel about dry brown lands, UGG.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 4-11-21 at 7:16pm.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    It’s dry brown land. You all know how I feel about dry brown lands, UGG.
    I can tell you're from the prairie. You don't like trees, you don't like desert--all you need is some wide open land, grass and lilies!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

No petri dish travel for me. Too many Salmonella outbreaks this century IMO. And now we have C-19 and all it's mutations.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    TT, interesting that you are planning trips. While I love traveling whenever money and opportunity coincide, I am not gung-ho to do so at present.
    We've cruised before. There are some aspects of it I definitely do not like, but on balance I've enjoyed the cruises we've taken. I think we'll be waiting another 3-4 years for the next big birthday for our cohort; no rush to cruise before then.

But I am getting promotional emails from a travel search engine that's offering round trips from the tundra here to London or Tokyo for under $600 so long as travel is completed by early 2022. I'm thinking long and hard about one of those trips.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information