Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free funerals from FEMA

Free funerals from FEMA

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...2a5_story.html

So now us taxpayers will give families $9,000 for full fledged funeral and trimmings for their loved one...IF that dead person died of COVID19.

I just can’t with this giveaway administration.

I heard about this on an NPR show, and even with the free grift, the panel had problems with it although those problems were NOT of the “gee not good for our economy” variety.

As liberal as I am, I don't think that's right. Unless they really are in need.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

This is ridiculous!

Yppej
    I heard that on NPR as well and was also shocked. If people don't have money for a cremation or burial there are already programs in place for paupers. And I thought funerals weren't allowed anyways due to covid.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I heard that on NPR as well and was also shocked. If people don't have money for a cremation or burial there are already programs in place for paupers. And I thought funerals weren't allowed anyways due to covid.
    Very small funerals. 10 people or less in many places. A friend of mine is the manager of a group of several funeral homes. She told me they've had to have security at some funerals because some people wouldn't observe the attendance limits (or the number of people allowed in the visitation at once) and things have gotten somewhat sporty.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The paupers are buries by local municipalities paying for a disposal of the body. That’s not a $9000 event with caskets, flowers, a service.

I’m not saying that the local municipalities should pay this however don’t get me wrong.

I wonder what the national debt is going to look like when all the numbers roll up. It seems like there is a lot of unnecessary spending going on.

My Dad just received the Social Security benefit for his husband, who passed away this Christmas day. $255 I think he said.

While each of you has commented on the cost, how is the cause of death going to be determined to establish whether or not, the recipient is eligible for the $9000. Is this not going to pit potential recipients against the medical system and its providers if a different cause of death is recorded? What triggered this benefit? Who decided? It is not a blue/red situation as most of the potential recipients will apply regardless of political persuasion, I imagine, if my understanding of the grounds for benefit as noted so far in the posts is accurate.

I am commenting on this thread because when DH passed, the entire expense did not exceed $3500 for removal of the body, posting the obit, cremation and scattering of ashes in his favourite spot in our woodlot followed with a celebration of life at our house. DH and I had discussed in depth over a period of years how we wished the disposal of our bodies to be dealt with. We agreed that any funds that would have been spent on a funeral, crypt and headstone would be donated to the community instead which I have done.
    That is how I want my body and its disposal to be dealt with and my family knows this. The actual disposal is all prepaid.

I do realize that many have different views on procedures for body disposal for a variety of reasons. Not going there!!!!!

My municipality pays a lot more towards the cost than DH's disposal cost - about half of the proposed $9000.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...2a5_story.html

So now us taxpayers will give families $9,000 for full fledged funeral and trimmings for their loved one...IF that dead person died of COVID19.

I just can’t with this giveaway administration.
    As I read the FEMA site, it says that funeral expenses covered must be documented by receipts from the funeral home or other death related costs such as death certificates, "up to $9,000". They also list allowable expenses that are fairly basic for the standard funeral with ceremony, casket, and burial.

So it's not exactly right that it's a $9,000 give away, although it's still a little excessive. And no doubt a wide open door for fraud and other abuses.

Thread Information