Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: April Purge

Yppej
    Another ripped quilt.

A friend asked for a recipe that was part of a binder a group of us put together. I spent several hours looking for it - to no avail - but managed to shred three bags worth of old documents/papers and got them into recycle for pickup tomorrow.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I've completed transferring all of my music CDs to a memory stick, computer, and and an external hard drive. I debated selling the CD player on eBay and it had a small problem so the simple thing was to take it to be recycled. My recycler takes CDs for ten cents a piece. I suppose most people sent these to the landfill, but I'm going to fess up to the recycling fee. My count is up to a hundred and will end up to be maybe twice that. That was a lot of money sunk into music in the day. My correct digital money sink is Amazon Music which is separate from Amazon prime, which I don't have. It is actually pretty nice and has everything, but at ten dollars a month it may be temporary.
    Wow Rogar, that is a major accomplishment. We probably have about 500 CDs, and just the thought of converting them all makes my head spin. How long did your conversion take? Any words of wisdom to share?

Got rid of a bunch of stuff Saturday with a quick garage sale with a girlfriend. Most of what didn't sell I donated. Gave a hightop table and 4 chairs to my son and STB DIL for their new apartment. Selling the lawnmower today since we don't use it anymore.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Wow Rogar, that is a major accomplishment. We probably have about 500 CDs, and just the thought of converting them all makes my head spin. How long did your conversion take? Any words of wisdom to share?
    Five hundred is a lot! Most of my conversions were done last winter. I set a work area up on my dining table and copied onto my laptop hard drive first, then backed up to a thumb and external drive. It took several days doing a handful at a time and had a few more to do this winter. This tutorial is just about exactly my procedure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebup5FiAt-k

About the only glitch I ran into is that only after I'd started did I discover the way to set the audio quality being saved. I think my even my old ears can tell the difference between an MP3 at 128 kbps and the higher quality rates. So I saved some at 128 kbps and the rest at 320 kbps. I think the higher rate is close to CD quality on my system for as much as I can tell. Once everything is in a folder on the hard drive, copying the folder to a thumb or external back up drive goes fast. I was a little worried about how much memory everything would take up, but my final tally is 160 CD's and on my thumb drive it takes about 15 GB of memory. There is a mix of different qualities so it could be more if everything was at the higher quality, but it's still not taking up much memory.

I'm hardly a computer or audiophile expert so there may be other or better ways, but that's what I did and it worked fine. If you want to get an estimate or how long the whole process would take, it's pretty easy to try a few and see how it goes. I used an older laptop with a built in cd/dvd drive, but would guess it could take longer if you need to use an external cd/dvd drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Five hundred is a lot! Most of my conversions were done last winter. I set a work area up on my dining table and copied onto my laptop hard drive first, then backed up to a thumb and external drive. It took several days doing a handful at a time and had a few more to do this winter. This tutorial is just about exactly my procedure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebup5FiAt-k

About the only glitch I ran into is that only after I'd started did I discover the way to set the audio quality being saved. I think my even my old ears can tell the difference between an MP3 at 128 kbps and the higher quality rates. So I saved some at 128 kbps and the rest at 320 kbps. I think the higher rate is close to CD quality on my system for as much as I can tell. Once everything is in a folder on the hard drive, copying the folder to a thumb or external back up drive goes fast. I was a little worried about how much memory everything would take up, but my final tally is 160 CD's and on my thumb drive it takes about 15 GB of memory. There is a mix of different qualities so it could be more if everything was at the higher quality, but it's still not taking up much memory.

I'm hardly a computer or audiophile expert so there may be other or better ways, but that's what I did and it worked fine. If you want to get an estimate or how long the whole process would take, it's pretty easy to try a few and see how it goes. I used an older laptop with a built in cd/dvd drive, but would guess it could take longer if you need to use an external cd/dvd drive?
    Thanks, Rogar. Maybe a project for next winter, but that's a good reminder to hold onto my old laptop with the CD drive a bit longer!

So the junk master took the last of his stuff yesterday. My purging rein has come to a end. I have nothing that I don’t want. I am so tired that I had a 4 hour nap today. Glad the sale went well Becky.

Well done, TT. Enjoy a break from moving stuff.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Thanks, Rogar. Maybe a project for next winter, but that's a good reminder to hold onto my old laptop with the CD drive a bit longer!
    sure. I might add that it took several days, but only a couple or few hours a day. It wasn’t a big ordeal.

Congrats, TT! A job well-done!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information