Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to keep a car in good shape for a long time

I too adore my car. It's a 2003 Subaru Forester with almost 259,000 miles. It was semi-retired last year since I walk to work now but my cousin's death required lots of driving to clean out his home. Now that's done and it's mostly driven to barn about 13 miles away. Interior looks great but the rear has a few boo boos from me backing into something I shouldn't have. I recently replaced the original spark plugs and may be due for a new timing belt soon, which will cost more than the car is worth. But, I know what I've got and I want to keep it going until it's too costly to keep it. Climate controlled garage kept, not washed as frequently as I would like (and smells like horses at times). I would buy the exact same car again since I'm not too thrilled with the size of the new Foresters--they're so big!!

In the right light (read: dim light) it still looks halfway decent for a 19 year old car.
    car.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by pony mom View Post
    I too adore my car. It's a 2003 Subaru Forester with almost 259,000 miles. It was semi-retired last year since I walk to work now but my cousin's death required lots of driving to clean out his home. Now that's done and it's mostly driven to barn about 13 miles away. Interior looks great but the rear has a few boo boos from me backing into something I shouldn't have. I recently replaced the original spark plugs and may be due for a new timing belt soon, which will cost more than the car is worth. But, I know what I've got and I want to keep it going until it's too costly to keep it. Climate controlled garage kept, not washed as frequently as I would like (and smells like horses at times). I would buy the exact same car again since I'm not too thrilled with the size of the new Foresters--they're so big!!
    I have a 2014 Subaru Forester, and like you, I adore it. I'm at 80,000 miles (bought it used about 3 1/2 years ago with 34K on it). Your post gives me encouragement! I agree, the new ones are the size of my DH's 2015 Outback!
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Well, my car now is experiencing three repairs at the same time. The clutch had to be replaced which wasn’t a surprise. This IS San Francisco, after all. One of the windows needs a new regulator. And the tires I bought 7 years/35,000 miles ago are at the end of their life. $1700 plus my time to do the window repair. The brake pads will likely need replacing in a year or so. None of these are a surprise (except the tires. I expected more than 35,000 miles from them) but hopefully I won’t have any other big repairs for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    And the tires I bought 7 years/35,000 miles ago are at the end of their life. ...(except the tires. I expected more than 35,000 miles from them) but hopefully I won’t have any other big repairs for a while.
    The company truck my friend had, was a 2009, that had just hit 40K miles on the original tires. We replaced them in 2019, due to dry rot, not mileage.
    How many people check their spares and only find out they have dry rotted when they need it (let alone being flat from never checking it)?

I took my car to a Car Talk recommended mechanic (they are always the best) and they said to put in Techron, so now I do that periodically. My car is a 2010 Toyota with 125000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I took my car to a Car Talk recommended mechanic (they are always the best) and they said to put in Techron, so now I do that periodically. My car is a 2010 Toyota with 125000 miles.
    What is Techron?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    What is Techron?
    It is a fuel system cleaner:

https://www.chevronlubricants.com/en...m-cleaner.html

Your prius still uses some fuel, right? Or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    It is a fuel system cleaner:

https://www.chevronlubricants.com/en...m-cleaner.html

Your prius still uses some fuel, right? Or no?
    Yes--it's a hybrid, so half gas, half electric. Thanks for the tip!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    In the right light (read: dim light) it still looks halfway decent for a 19 year old car.
    car.jpg
    I’m sure that car will serve you well for several more years.

Thread Information