Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to keep a car in good shape for a long time

2004 Toyota Corolla, just shy of 150K miles.

I was planning to buy a new car -- likely my last -- when the pandemic started to clear, but I'm rethinking that. Last fall I had to spend a significant sum to get it past emissions inspection, and two months ago I had to replace a cracked catalytic converter. Had the work done at the dealer, which charges premium prices but does good work. Now it's running like a top, and I'll probably be hanging on to it for a while.

A factor in my decision is that there are so many upsides to driving a beater if it's running well. Aside from the cost factor, if it gets a scratch, who cares?

My favorite car ever was a little four-door Plymouth Neon. Literally bought it used off an older woman from church - lol. I used it, then one of my kids used it, then we shared it (we both loved it! LOL) It lasted just shy of 20 years. Now we have Hondas and Toyotas.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    2004 Toyota Corolla, just shy of 150K miles.

I was planning to buy a new car -- likely my last -- when the pandemic started to clear, but I'm rethinking that. Last fall I had to spend a significant sum to get it past emissions inspection, and two months ago I had to replace a cracked catalytic converter. Had the work done at the dealer, which charges premium prices but does good work. Now it's running like a top, and I'll probably be hanging on to it for a while.

A factor in my decision is that there are so many upsides to driving a beater if it's running well. Aside from the cost factor, if it gets a scratch, who cares?
    Since you spent the money to get it back in good shape it seems logical to keep it for now and then reevaluate when the next problem arises. Assuming that one does. It’s a Toyota Corolla. It will last forever. This ad pretty much sums things up:

https://www.craigslist.org/about/bes...565526716.html

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Since you spent the money to get it back in good shape it seems logical to keep it for now and then reevaluate when the next problem arises. Assuming that one does. It’s a Toyota Corolla. It will last forever. This ad pretty much sums things up:

To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

That ad just makes one rush out and look for one.

In reality:
    My 2005 little red Vibe based on the Toyota Matrix is still going strong and my son-in-law is very pleased with having it to drive to work every day. The AC did quit but he just rolls down the window.
    My 2013 Prius V is my truck and car combo. This model of Prius is no longer made I was told by a Toyota staff who had planned on buying one. I haul all kinds of stuff and the fuel efficiency is 47US MPG.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post

That is an awesome ad!! I love it! That guy deserves to be VP of Marketing somewhere.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Just got my credit card statement for
    Last month. Between the clutch job, tires and window regulator $1600. The same as six months of payments SO makes on his new car. But I don’t expect to have any major expenses now for way more than 6 months so I’m good with that.

Thread Information