Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP Duke of Edinburgh

RIP Duke of Edinburgh

I feel it's the beginning of the end of an era. Prince Philip has been in the background of my entire life. My heart goes out to Queen Elizabeth--she and Prince Philip were comrades in arms through a lifetime of service and duty. May he rest in peace.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Well said!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    No wonder the royal family protects Prince Andrew. Prince Philip was an adult serving in the armed forces when he pursued 13 year old Elizabeth:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prin...e_of_Edinburgh

That is one of the most bizarre things you’ve posted.

Yppej
    If you looked hard enough you could probably find a child bride who grew to love the man she married. Doesn't make it right. Now Elizabeth was 21 when she married, but the fact that a grown man pursued her when she was 13 is still creepy to me and something that should not be countenanced.

Like father like son, though some of Andrew's teens were older than 13.

Yppej
    I'm also getting a little tired of the commentary that Elizabeth was so lucky to find a man who would play second fiddle to her and he gave up his own title for her. Greece kicked out their royalty so he had nothing to lose. And do you ever hear people say a man is so lucky to find a woman who will play second fiddle to him? No, because the sexist assumption is that it is normal for men to outperform women.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    That is one of the most bizarre things you’ve posted.
    Agreed, weird spin. People wrote a lot of letters in those days, so I imagine Elizabeth was writing to many people. Plus, they were lightly related and he was European royalty, reasons for her to keep in touch. She was the future Monarch, reason for him to keep in touch.

Tradd, he was Greek Orthodox to the end, right? According to the wiki article he was excepted into the Anglican church, but he said he was Greek orthodox.

Yppej
    Find someone you know who has a 13 year old daughter and ask that person, "Would you like an 18 year old pursuing her?" See what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Find someone you know who has a 13 year old daughter and ask that person, "Would you like an 18 year old pursuing her?" See what they say.
    She has a public role as Princess and future heir to cultivate and maintain relationships. But I wouldn’t be surprised if his family and his own ego pushed that relationship, not because she’s 13 years old, but because she’s the future heir.

My 13 year old daughter would not have that role.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Plus, they were lightly related.
    Incest doesn't help your argument.

Thread Information