Page 41 of 45 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 447

Thread: Who Has Not Been Vaccinated?

  1. #401
    Senior Member Yppej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,691
    Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    The vaccine doesn't keep you from getting or passing along the virus! It - hopefully - keeps you alive should you get it or any of the variants - again, hopefully.
    Oh ye of little faith, vaccines do work.

  2. #402
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    8,885
    The vaccine doesn't keep you from getting or passing along the virus! It - hopefully - keeps you alive should you get it or any of the variants - again, hopefully.
    Realistically probably keeps you from even getting symptoms if you get any of the variants. Latest New England Journal of Medicine article's estimate was 88% effectiveness against symptomatic infection against Delta with Pfizer FWIW. And that's symptoms, death and hospitalizations much more so.

    Almost certainly reduces passing along the virus. The studies were saying make it half as likely but that may not have looked at the Delta strain. But even with the Delta strain I find it hard to believe it wouldn't reduce this.

    If I had to wear a mask to go to the doctor I would. Of course I do and have. They made me replace a KN95 with a flimsy surgical mask

    But I can understand resistance and for many people it's not about masks at this point, it's about ok so we have to go back to all restrictions again? Can't take, mentally or physically ....

    But if Ebola broke out and everyone had Ebola, you'd take restrictions wouldn't you? I'd hide in my house and never leave or see another human being maybe (darn it they really should have stopped gain of function research when they could, as if we needed gain of function Ebola ...). We aren't there.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

  3. #403
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I am vaccinated. I don't need to.
    Fortunately your eye doc understands covid better than you do.

  4. #404
    Senior Member Yppej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,691
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Realistically probably keeps you from even getting symptoms if you get any of the variants. Latest New England Journal of Medicine article's estimate was 88% effectiveness against symptomatic infection against Delta with Pfizer FWIW. And that's symptoms, death and hospitalizations much more so.
    If the Delta variant really is "a thousand" times more contagious than regular covid probably half or more of the country is walking around infected without knowing it. But we know that's not true because even with those who feel the need to get a test - either because they are symptomatic or because of possible exposure - the positivity rate is below 1% in many places including my state. So with rates that low, given that the test is not perfect and can generate false positives, I see no reason to be concerned. If I lived in a largely unvaccinated country I might feel differently.
    Last edited by Yppej; 7-23-21 at 3:48pm. Reason: Remove extraneous preposition

  5. #405
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,183
    Something like 100 members of the US Olympic team are not vaccinated. Will their game of Russian roulette turn out ok or will they destroy their, and potentially numerous other athleteís Olympic dreams with their stupidity?

  6. #406
    Senior Member Yppej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,691
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Something like 100 members of the US Olympic team are not vaccinated. Will their game of Russian roulette turn out ok or will they destroy their, and potentially numerous other athlete’s Olympic dreams with their stupidity?
    Dreams are already being destroyed as people who feel fine can't compete because of a positive test.

  7. #407
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Dreams are already being destroyed as people who feel fine can't compete because of a positive test.
    Concern for other peopleís health is so over-rated as Iíve been told by several people on these boards. Thanks for joining in although youíve made it clear that that was your feeling from way back when you were joyously poking holes in your mask.

  8. #408
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Oh ye of little faith, vaccines do work.
    I didn't say that they didn't work, as they do provide protection. I said that they are not the magical prevent-all that you seem to think.

    Edited to add: But you won't believe it until something happens and it hits your "immediate family" - which I hope and pray it never does. So go ahead and continue in ignorant bliss.

    Edited again to add: But you don't seem very "blissful", so just go ahead and continue as you do if it keeps you at least a little happy.

    Still sending sincere prayers and positive energies to you and yours.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

  9. #409
    Senior Member Yppej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,691
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Concern for other people’s health is so over-rated as I’ve been told by several people on these boards. Thanks for joining in although you’ve made it clear that that was your feeling from way back when you were joyously poking holes in your mask.
    I wasn't joyous. Joyous would have been not having to deal with the smothering mask at all.

  10. #410
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    19,834
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Fortunately your eye doc understands covid better than you do.
    Jp,Do you believe that 5+ inoculated Texas legislators came down with Covid? That would be 10% of the legislators in the infamous plane. I’m not terribly worried about a breakthrough Event for me because I’m avoiding large super spreader events and late night bars with lots of people. Although of course that is my normal lifestyle.


    This is a good time for me to be getting on a plane except that – I’m not keen on being in an airport building with hundreds of people let alone being in a sky tube with hundreds of people.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •