Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Has Not Been Vaccinated?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    If the needle- phobic were that significant a part of the population, wouldn’t we still be dealing with major smallpox outbreaks?
    Minors didn't get a choice. They screamed while getting their vaccine because Mom or Dad said they would. Smallpox vaccines stopped being given in in 1972. (I have no idea your age).

I'll assume you've had a 19yo patient crying her eyes out, that you talked to for 20 minutes b4 she let you give her the injection while pulling away the entire time? I won't tell all the stories of patients I've talked off the ledge in the recent 4 weeks let alone 4 decades.

It's a good thing my professional integrity doesn't rely on your evaluation of my expertise.

Have a lovely day.

I don’t doubt you are very close to and frequently deal with people who fear needles. Where I live, I am very close to and frequently deal with people very concerned about the price of milk. I do not conclude from that, however, that “the world is watching” the price of milk.

“The Science” says not nearly 50% of patients are needle phobic, especially to the point of failing to get stuck.

There is a wide gap between “i dont like sharp objects stuck in my arm or bum” (because who does?) and “I hyperventilate with fear at the thought of a needle and therefore refuse all voluntary innoculations.”

I could see 80% of people having “needle phobia” if we count those on the entire spectrum with most of the other 20% lying out of bravado.

but why dont we turn to actual data? Even better, meta data.
    This pubmed article examines 119 studies about needle phobias and says in results:

: The search yielded 119 original research articles which are included in this review, of which 35 contained sufficient information for meta-analysis. The majority of children exhibited needle fear, while prevalence estimates for needle fear ranged from 20-50% in adolescents and 20-30% in young adults. In general, needle fear decreased with increasing age. Both needle fear and needle phobia were more prevalent in females than males. Avoidance of influenza vaccination because of needle fear occurred in 16% of adult patients, 27% of hospital employees, 18% of workers at long-term care facilities, and 8% of healthcare workers at hospitals. Needle fear was common when undergoing venipuncture, blood donation, and in those with chronic conditions requiring injection.
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30109720/

My own anecdotal infomation, one data poi t out of miloi9ns is that:

1) I am not especially needle phobic and i give blood at the red cross (although stopped last fall when covid ramped up) which is a whole lot more needle intensive than a tiny prick from these covid vaccines

2) I felt the 1st Pfizer shot

3) I did not feel the 2nd Pfizer shot

My conclusion: weenies get the shot!

Yppej
    I just look away and do not watch the needle going in.

The link referred to studies from 1947-2019 but that site also recognizes that this is a recent https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7636457/medical concern affecting about 10% of the population and due to the number of needles received.

We need to recognize that in covid times, the climate of fear in simply gathering in a public place, receiving a 'jab' or two which one hopes to be safe, fearful of any side-effects are not normal times.

Gardnr, thank you for providing conscientious care and support to those coming for their covid shots and helping them deal with their fear.

in addition, I know, for example, that people who received a dental anaesthetic 40 years ago were experiencing a different needle, anaesthetic and approach than would be used today.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Hey Jane, I was just noticing on the Wa.gov website that there is now a state mobile vaccine team who will come to those who are homebound. See the form at:
    https://coronavirus.wa.gov/
    If I remember correctly, Jane is not truly homebound. She just not gotten her current vehicle fixed and has the means to get it fixed or buy a replacement vehicle. In IL, you have to be truly homebound for someone to bring the vaccine to you.

Heck, if you think you're needle-phobic to the point of not getting vaccinated for covid-19, take a look at how fun intubation is by comparison....

For extra credit, consider that we may well sink an Intraosseous infusion port into you in the ambulance. Hint - it involves drilling/needling into a bone....

Fun times.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I’ll admit the blood clot thing confuses me a little. Are we justified in assuming those eight or whatever cases are a direct result of the vaccine without reference to some control group who did not receive it? Using the same logic, couldn’t we link the vaccine to any other medical condition occurring post-vaccine? Or even grain silo accidents or kitchen mishaps?
    I personally know two patients who developed acute alcohol poisoning within two days of receiving their second dose of Moderna. I'm pretty sure one would have died without emergency medical intervention.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Heck, if you think you're needle-phobic to the point of not getting vaccinated for covid-19, take a look at how fun intubation is by comparison....

For extra credit, consider that we may well sink an Intraosseous infusion port into you in the ambulance. Hint - it involves drilling/needling into a bone....

Fun times.
    You can shame them for fear, and scare them with the consequences of dire treatment with intubation. I can ridicule them by calling them weenies.

But none of it really helps the situation does it?

Thread Information