Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Has Not Been Vaccinated?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Jp,Do you believe that 5+ inoculated Texas legislators came down with Covid? That would be 10% of the legislators in the infamous plane. I’m not terribly worried about a breakthrough Event for me because I’m avoiding large super spreader events and late night bars with lots of people. Although of course that is my normal lifestyle.

This is a good time for me to be getting on a plane except that – I’m not keen on being in an airport building with hundreds of people let alone being in a sky tube with hundreds of people.
    I absolutely believe that 5 vaxxed Texan legislators got infected. And I believe that an eye doc spending a half hour in a small room that has poor ventilation with an infected person is at risk even if they are vaccinated. Vaccination lowers your chance of infection but doesn’t eliminate it if you get exposed to a large enough* amount of the virus. His and his patient’s masks may be just enough additional protection to prevent him from getting a large enough dose of virus from the patient.

*large enough differs from one person to the next. If the eye doc is 70 years old, has high blood pressure and is obese large enough is probably a lot smaller than if he’s 35 and healthy/fit.

This is a good time for me to be getting on a plane except that – I’m not keen on being in an airport building with hundreds of people let alone being in a sky tube with hundreds of people.
    I totally agree with the hesitation.

I will say, however, that my trip last week was amazing with regards to masking protocols. In every airport - everyone complied!!! NO EXCEPTIONS! In every plane - everyone complied as required! I would say that infants were the exception, but I even saw an infant with a clear plastic face "mask"/covering! It was wonderful to see and I, personally, took it as a sign that the majority of people really do care!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I absolutely believe that 5 vaxxed Texan legislators got infected. And I believe that an eye doc spending a half hour in a small room that has poor ventilation with an infected person is at risk even if they are vaccinated. Vaccination lowers your chance of infection but doesn’t eliminate it if you get exposed to a large enough* amount of the virus. His and his patient’s masks may be just enough additional protection to prevent him from getting a large enough dose of virus from the patient.

*large enough differs from one person to the next. If the eye doc is 70 years old, has high blood pressure and is obese large enough is probably a lot smaller than if he’s 35 and healthy/fit.
    So if I am not in close contact with others, work in a rural area and even then socially distance, and even the member of my own household avoids me

And my doctor is younger and slimmer than me

I should be good, especially where I'm vaccinated.

It's not like I'm flying around in a plane in close quarters with other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I should be good, especially where I'm vaccinated.

It's not like I'm flying around in a plane in close quarters with other people.
    If you were in a plane, you would be required to be masked - vaccinated or not.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

In addition to masking, ventilation in commercial aircraft is supposedly pretty good. Private charter planes, your guess is as good as mine.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    In addition to masking, ventilation in commercial aircraft is supposedly pretty good. Private charter planes, your guess is as good as mine.
    Actually, the brochure on the plane said something to the effect of this google search result: All our planes are equipped with hospital-grade HEPA air filters, which remove 99.97% or more of particles, bacteria and viruses. This, combined with 100% compliance on mask-wearing by everyone, was very reassuring.

Hong Kong, early on in the pandemic, had a strict testing/quarantine protocol for everyone arriving at the airport. Get tested right after you arrived, quarantine two weeks after arrival and retest before leaving quarantine. Results were tallied by airline. Airlines with strict, consistent mask requirements had very few inflight infections. (People who tested negative initially but positive at the end of quarantine. ). Even on a flight with something like 27 positives on arrival masking had been enforced strictly so only one or two infections happened on the plane. Lax airlines tended to have a much higher transmission rate on board but still not nearly as bad as one would expect for people spending many hours packed together in a sealed tube. So yeah, airplanes are reasonably safe, especially if people are good about staying masked. Even if people aren’t always masked they aren’t bad except for the fact that a plane flight is quite a bit longer than the typical amount of time spent at the grocery store or wherever.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Yes, we were fed that line about airplane ventilation over a year ago when people were still flying at the height of Covid before vaccines. OK fine, I don’t know. Why is it that people claim they get regular respiratory infections is so easily on a plane under normal circumstances If the air is so well ventilated?Of course no one wears masks in pre-Covid so maybe that’s part of it.

Yes, we were fed that line about airplane ventilation over a year ago when people were still flying at the height of Covid before vaccines. OK fine, I don’t know. Why is it that people claim they get regular respiratory infections is so easily on a plane under normal circumstances If the air is so well ventilated?Of course no one wears masks in pre-Covid so maybe that’s part of it.
    And I really do think airlines believed it was in their best interests to improve their air filtration systems over the last year - so I tend to believe that there has been at least SOME improvement from pre-covid days on flights.

Yppej
    People are assaulting flight attendants because they don't want to wear masks. An airline can set as strict rules as they want. It doesn't mean people will obey.

I am a different breed. I just won't go somewhere if I don't have to if they will make me wear a mask rather than hassling the customer facing staff.

So people can justify doing whatever they want like saying flying is safe when they have no idea how the other people on the plane will act. Another great one was I'm socializing with people outside my household (pre-vaccine) but it's OK because I just say they're in my pod.

Thread Information