Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Has Not Been Vaccinated?

Yppej
    Still nothing in my area today. I checked with HR and although we have a self-insured pre-ACA plan there will be no out of pocket cost to me wherever I go, so I just need to find a place. RR when I looked at pre-register as I read it that was only for mass vaccination sites?

Yppej, we had great luck with Walgreens, and not with the state sign up site or Walmart or Hannafords (those were our options.)

When I was looking for an appointment I found the bay area vaccine hunters group on facebook to be incredibly helpful. Among other things someone on there had created a telegram channel with a scraper that would search all the various sites every few minutes and then post when there was new availability at a site, along with a link to sign up for appointments. So in the middle of the morning the first day I was eligible it posted that there were 100's of slots at the Oakland Coliseum and I clicked the link and signed up from my phone.

Yppej
    It should not be this complicated if the government really wants us all to get vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    It should not be this complicated if the government really wants us all to get vaccinated.
    I hear you!

Try this link and put in your zip code and see if Walgreens has any near you:

https://www.walgreens.com/topic/prom...waAmWIEALw_wcB

We had to drive an hour, but that's because there was nothing near the cities.

Yppej
    Walgreens says they don't have anything in my state.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    there are so many smart alec things I can say in response to this idea abput Nanny G and her mysterious ways, but there’s really no point of that.

Probably government entities are doing the best they can to distribute this vaccine. Whereas you all seem to be having trouble out there in rural New England, we had initial trouble in my state, at least it was reported as such, that our governor gave tons of vaccine to rural outstate because those are his constituents and not these blue area cities.

But that was a political spin of the local liberal media so who knows if that’s true. Some of them were aghast that here these vaccines were going to the people who don’t even care to get it! How wrong is that!

The problem with the vaccine distribution seems to be that it's been made way more complicated than need be. The federal government dumped most of the task onto the states. The states have then dumped it on the counties. There's no consistency within states, much less across the states about who is eligible and when. For instance, in the bay area when overweight people become eligible different counties had a different definition of overweight. Even within the counties different providers had different definitions. The san francisco county health department said BMI of 30 or more. Kaiser Permanente said 25. One county opened up to age 50 and over residents two weeks before the state. Workers in that county can also get vaccinated there, but only if they met any of the other criteria to get vaccinated, not if they just met the over 50 age criteria. And on and on and on. About one third of the people I know have driven more than an hour each way to get a shot. Anyone in the bay area that wants a shot can get one today if they are willing/able to drive out to Stockton or the central valley. I was lucky to only have to drive 45 minutes each way. But that was the only option. There are no major vaccine sites in my county and in the week leading up to my eligibility the telegram app never showed any appointments at any providers here so it was pretty much a given that I would need to go to oakland or san francisco to get shot.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    . The federal government dumped most of the task onto the states. The states have then dumped it on the counties.
    From a logistical standpoint, doesn't that make sense? I would think it takes a lot of local organization to secure locations and personnel to accomplish the goal.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej
    I wish the approach were more local not less. Trying to force most people to drive far from home to a mass vaccination not once but twice for a two dose vaccine is not user friendly.

Thread Information