Page 39 of 45 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Has Not Been Vaccinated?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The Delta variant is said to be 1000 times more transmissible than the original version, in a matter of seconds--and as long as people refuse to get vaccinated, there will be ever-more mutations--any one of which might be more deadly than COVID is now. So some may call it paranoia; I call it caution.
    Your post sounds like Trump "people are saying..."

Here is a link to an NPR story that states "The delta variant, which is more than two times as transmissible as the original strain of the coronavirus" not 1000 times more transmissible:

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...ou-should-know

Also, the lambda variant which comes from Peru has been labelled by the WHO as only a variant of interest, not a variant of concern like Delta is.

If you believe everything that everyone says on social media you would be right to worry. I don't.

My son's in-laws. My dil just canceled a trip they had planned with the children because of the numbers going up and the Delta variant. MIL was very angry, but that's just the way it is--the grandparents are free to vaccinate or not, and the parents are free to make the safest decision for the children.

I wouldn't push anybody to get a vaccine, or shame them if they don't. I would certainly expect them to understand when people refuse to get together with them or let them be around the unvaccinated children. So they make their choice, and that's the reason I got vaccinated, so I could be around my grandchildren and elderly mom. They made a different choice, and I guess time will tell which choice is right, or maybe it will just be a matter of luck and odds.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Some common sense should come into play. My dentist did not make me wear a mask because they could not clean my teeth if I did.

Similarly if a mask clouds up someone's vision they shouldn't have to wear it during an eye exam.
    I suppose eye docs could do as the American Dental Association recommends, which is to have patients swish hydrogen peroxide around in their mouths for 30 seconds at the start of the exam. Supposedly doing that kills off the virus that is currently in the mouth for long enough for the dentist to do their job without as much risk.

There are days when I wish the national message was "just get the damn vaccine" so we could quit dealing with the whole situation. I saw a news clip of an unvaccinated man being released from the hospital after a nasty bout with the virus. Asked if he would get the shot now, he said no since it was just experimental. The drug he was given in the hospital that may have lessened his misery was also emergency-authorized.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I suppose eye docs could do as the American Dental Association recommends, which is to have patients swish hydrogen peroxide around in their mouths for 30 seconds at the start of the exam. Supposedly doing that kills off the virus that is currently in the mouth for long enough for the dentist to do their job without as much risk.
    My dentist did not have me do this. And anyways the virus is not transmitted through the eye or the forehead that rests against the machine you look into for eye exams.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    In answer to the question in the OP--my daughter and son-in-law

I think my daughter is following her husband's lead, which is surprising, because she's usually very independent-minded, but he is a bit of a rebel in general, and he is not doing it because of skepticism and paranoia, and my daughter, for some reason, is following his lead.

So it has impacted the family in that my son and DIL refuse to be with them during family gatherings (rightfully so) because they have two small children, unvaccinated. In less than 2 weeks, my NJ son will be coming up for vacation, and we'll all be together at multiple occasions, and it's going to exclude my daughter from many of these activities.

Such a shame. Not sure she realizes the position she's putting the whole family in, but today's the day I'm going to lay it on the line (DH has repeatedly told her to get vaccinated in text messages). I know she would bend, but I wonder if she would now put the shoe on the other foot and be able to influence her husband.
    There’s nothing wrong with having the unvaccinated suffer the social consequences of not being vaccinated. Their body, their choice, and their consequences.

I cheerfully tell all of our friends that DH is not vaccinated and be sure and treat him accordingly. No problem! It doesn’t have to be done with meanness, it’s just a fact: No vax, no come near me.

This week DH had his semi annual doctors appointment and I thought his doctor would read him the riot act. According to DH, if I am to believe what DH says, the doctor didn’t argue with him but did say he urges DH to get a vaccine.

If you believe everything that everyone says on social media you would be right to worry. I don't.
    I get none of my COVID information from social media (though I admit to reading FB comments with hair afire), but I admit to paying attention to the Drs. Gupta (Vin and Sanjay), Redlener, Hotez, Kevita Patel, Jha, the CDC, etc. on various MSM outlets.

From a Houston Chronicle interview with Dr. Peter Hotez:
    I’ve been hearing that with delta, the viral load is more than 1,000 times higher than with that original-lineage virus, the one from 2020. What does that mean? It’s a preliminary finding posted on a CDC discussion group. The study is from Guangdong province in southern China. It looks pretty credible, but it’s not yet been peer-reviewed.

At any rate, Delta seems to be considerably more transmissible than the original.

At this point I think it would take employer mandates to get a significant number of adults vaccinated and that won't happen for the most part because there is a labor shortage.

Here is a link to an NPR story that states "The delta variant, which is more than two times as transmissible as the original strain of the coronavirus" not 1000 times more transmissible:

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...ou-should-know

Also, the lambda variant which comes from Peru has been labelled by the WHO as only a variant of interest, not a variant of concern like Delta is.

BS.... (see bold above).

The variant is more transmissible PERIOD (to what degree is irrelevant). Any reasonable person would try to avoid getting. Quit your whining and, if you don't want to wear a mask, stay away from places where they are required. As others have stated here, it is a prudent doc that wears a mask. He/she is in contact with all kinds of people. They should not put themselves or any of their patients at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    My son's in-laws. My dil just canceled a trip they had planned with the children because of the numbers going up and the Delta variant. MIL was very angry, but that's just the way it is--the grandparents are free to vaccinate or not, and the parents are free to make the safest decision for the children.

I wouldn't push anybody to get a vaccine, or shame them if they don't. I would certainly expect them to understand when people refuse to get together with them or let them be around the unvaccinated children. So they make their choice, and that's the reason I got vaccinated, so I could be around my grandchildren and elderly mom. They made a different choice, and I guess time will tell which choice is right, or maybe it will just be a matter of luck and odds.
    I'm not sure I agree because we are never going to be done with COVID if people are not responsible. The variants will continue to mutate and cause more problems.

Thread Information