Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scots Ascending

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    My Oregon Stewarts came from Illinois--at least in that generation.
    We liked the lack of trees on the prairies and stayed here once we got here.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    We liked the lack of trees on the prairies and stayed here once we got here.
    We were straight outta Kentucky...
    For which I'll be eternally grateful.

But you know, Kentucky was once western Virginia territory...

My mother came through Maine from Nova Scotia Canada and my dad's came through Windsor? from Ontario and from Germany to Ontario. Before the internet I had never met anyone with my last name...turns out there are hundreds in Canada all decended from that one guy! There's a river in Germany with our name.

NS, that’s amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    My mother came through Maine from Nova Scotia Canada and my dad's came through Windsor? from Ontario and from Germany to Ontario. Before the internet I had never met anyone with my last name...turns out there are hundreds in Canada all decended from that one guy! There's a river in Germany with our name.
    That is so cool--you need a family reunion.

It was strange to see their names on a document- Mom was 14, one of 7 children. Grandfather came for a job in Pgh.They brought one maid with them...who was not allowed to stay on the same floor with them in the hotel until my grandfather made a huge scene. She got to stay with the kids. She married and settled in Pittsburgh, became an excellent tournament bridge player, husband owned a car repair shop.

Anybody else more of something with the new revision in September? I am now 38% Scottish but they changed my 5% Swedish back to 3 percent Norwegian and 2 percent Swedish and Danish.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I just looked it up on Ancestry, and apparently my Virginia Stewarts are descended from this Stewart:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_..._Earl_of_Moray

who is called the Bonny Earl of Moray, and is my 13th great-grandfather, according to Ancestry. But while he is descended from King Robert II of Scotland, king of Scotland in the 14th century, he is only a distant cousin of the King James VI of Scotland, aka King James I of England.

But I have other Stewarts so I have to check on those.

Is this your line. did they come through Virginia? I would imagine they did, Cous!
    That Moray guy rang a bell so I had to Google some info. His son, the 3rd Earl of Moray, built the charming Castle Stuart where I was privelged to stay upon two separate occasions. It was magical. The first time we stayed there it was just me and DH. The second time we stayed there it was my brother, his wife, and my Stuart cousin. it was amusing that there was a big painting in the lobby showing the Macintoshes and the Stuarts having a battle over the castle. My sister-in-law is a Macintosh.

I however have no illusion that my Stuart immigrant is anyone other than a common villager because we cannot trace him, and besides stories come down from family members about ancestry IF that ancestry is notable.

I remember a story that my grandmother on the other side of the family was “French”. I paid no attention to that but earlier this year did easily trace her ancestry back to the Frenchman who came over to the Boston area in the 1600s.

But back to the Morays—They were noblemen who were always by the king’s side and one of them, 1st Earl, played a big role in Mary Queen of Scots life while in Scotland. I was thinking he was her bastard cousin, but perhaps not.

edited to correct which Moray Earl was the contemporary if Mary, Queen of .scots.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-1-21 at 2:21pm.

Showing my dedication to Stuarts and architecture today, here is the photo I took of Castle Stuart way back in 1978 when it was abandoned and window-less. In later decades a rich Canadian Stuart bought it and fixed it up and ran it as a wonderful bed-and-breakfast inn. Very expensive, very exclusive, and very wonderful. It has been closed for many years now to outsiders.

We stayed there in 2004 and again in 2009.

9D672D91-0EA7-4D73-A055-BD65C6E88188.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Showing my dedication to Stuarts and architecture today, here is the photo I took of Castle Stuart way back in 1978 when it was abandoned and window-less. In later decades a rich Canadian Stuart bought it and fixed it up and ran it as a wonderful bed-and-breakfast inn. Very expensive, very exclusive, and very wonderful. It has been closed for many years now to outsiders.

We stayed there in 2004 and again in 2009.

9D672D91-0EA7-4D73-A055-BD65C6E88188.jpg
    Wow, it looks like a castle in a fairy tale.

Thread Information