Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scots Ascending

Scots Ascending

Well, Ancestry has done it again--my percentage of Scottish-ness keeps going up. I am now 32 percent Scottish, and my husband checked his and he is up to 30% Scottish.

Is this happening to anyone else on Ancestry? I am ready to get a camper and go to the games at Grandfather Mountain! (Am in the Scot clan, although also Stuart and Napier, and he is a Duncan. Which tartan to select?)

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Well, Ancestry has done it again--my percentage of Scottish-ness keeps going up. I am now 32 percent Scottish, and my husband checked his and he is up to 30% Scottish.

Is this happening to anyone else on Ancestry? I am ready to get a camper and go to the games at Grandfather Mountain! (Am in the Scot clan, although also Stuart and Napier, and he is a Duncan. Which tartan to select?)
    Yeah, my Scots heritage grew a little, but my Irish heritage grew a lot: I'm now up to 61% Irish and, like you, 32% Scottish, with the rest 5% European Jew and 2% Norwegian. So now we have two corned beef and cabbages on St. Patrick's day, made with neeps and tatties!

DH would not admit it but if he did a DNA test he would probably find he is the flip side of my origins: Mostly Scottish but there is an Irish branch of the family.

I also love seeing the part of the Ancestry DNA data that also tracks where your ancestors settled--my ancestors are solidly in New England--from Massachusetts to RI and CT, ME and VT. And no one has traveled very far over the past 300+ years from what I can see. I think that's one reason I have such a strong sense of place, especially as I get older.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yeah, my Scots heritage grew a little, but my Irish heritage grew a lot: I'm now up to 61% Irish and, like you, 32% Scottish, with the rest 5% European Jew and 2% Norwegian. So now we have two corned beef and cabbages on St. Patrick's day, made with neeps and tatties!

DH would not admit it but if he did a DNA test he would probably find he is the flip side of my origins: Mostly Scottish but there is an Irish branch of the family.

I also love seeing the part of the Ancestry DNA data that also tracks where your ancestors settled--my ancestors are solidly in New England--from Massachusetts to RI and CT, ME and VT. And no one has traveled very far over the past 300+ years from what I can see. I think that's one reason I have such a strong sense of place, especially as I get older.
    Wow, I had no idea you were so Irish! You are a true Gael--93 per cent!!

I find that ancestor thing confusing, though--all of mine show up as Southern States, but I know all my dad's relatives settled in New England or Maryland. So I wondered if it is just all the people you are related to who actually took the test--all those cousins they show? Because I know way more of my Southern relatives are into geneaology than my dad's Northern relatives.

Wow, I had no idea you were so Irish! You are a true Gael--93 per cent!!

I find that ancestor thing confusing, though--all of mine show up as Southern States, but I know all my dad's relatives settled in New England or Maryland. So I wondered if it is just all the people you are related to who actually took the test--all those cousins they show? Because I know way more of my Southern relatives are into geneaology than my dad's Northern relatives.
    yeah, I think they trace it to current times, and as you said, it's probably driven by the people who are on Ancestry. For instance, it says that I have relatives who "settled" in Kansas. To my knowledge the ONLY relative I have from Kansas is my uncle, but he is not a blood relative--he married my father's sister. So, when I click on the little "Kansas" bubble, I see my cousin (who doesn't live there) and, oddly, my brother, who never lived there. So the accuracy is questionable.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

so very excellent!

Go Stuart all the way, cousin!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    so very excellent!

Go Stuart all the way, cousin!

Virescit vulnere virtus
    (had to look that up, Cousin!)

Funny to read these stories of another's genealogy via DNA testing. Never having been inclined to check it out, it is interesting how the results and reports unfold. I wonder how much of the NA population have taken the DNA test, how many have been surprised, pleased or disappointed and how many found unexpected relations?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Were the Stuarts/Stewarts particularly prolific? There seem to be a lot of us.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Were the Stuarts/Stewarts particularly prolific? There seem to be a lot of us.
    yes. Lots of them born on the wrong side of the blanket, lots of royal bastards.

I had a unexpected half sister from England.

Thread Information