Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scots Ascending

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I had a unexpected half sister from England.
    For a while, it looked as though I might have a half brother, but further sleuthing and theorizing has the mystery man as my cousin.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 5-5-21 at 10:19am.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Were the Stuarts/Stewarts particularly prolific? There seem to be a lot of us.
    more Stuart talk.

My cousin sent me this below from The Stewart Society, in which he participates. There is quite a good chance several of us are “Royal.”
    Interesting stat from the administrator of the Stewart DNA Project on Family Tree DNA.

Belinda Dettmann
    Admin

April 18 @ 6:11pm

The question has been asked what proportion of men named Stewart, Stuart or a variant of the name are royal Stewarts. Currently, in the Stewart DNA Project, Royal Stewarts can be detected from the results of their Y-37 DNA tests. To date, 739 men with the surname Stewart or a close variant have tested for Y-37 markers. Of these 218 are Royal Stewart descendants. So for the Stewart DNA project, 29.5 % of men named Stewart or a variant are descended from one of the Royal Stewart lines.

So do we now address you as Your Majesty IL? or some other regal form?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    So do we now address you as Your Majesty IL? or some other regal form?
    If you like yes you may do that!!!

edited to add: I don’t think we are in the 29% that is royal or else my cousin would’ve told me that. I think. I need to check back with him.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    If you like yes you may do that!!!

edited to add: I don’t think we are in the 29% that is royal or else my cousin would’ve told me that. I think. I need to check back with him.
    I just looked it up on Ancestry, and apparently my Virginia Stewarts are descended from this Stewart:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_..._Earl_of_Moray

who is called the Bonny Earl of Moray, and is my 13th great-grandfather, according to Ancestry. But while he is descended from King Robert II of Scotland, king of Scotland in the 14th century, he is only a distant cousin of the King James VI of Scotland, aka King James I of England.

But I have other Stewarts so I have to check on those.

Is this your line. did they come through Virginia? I would imagine they did, Cous!

I vaguely remember finding a Virginia Stewart in my researching, but I didn't pursue that line. I suppose I should get back to it.
    My other was my g-g grandmother Laura Ann Stewart, Oregon pioneer, divorcee, and mother of a mysterious mixed-race daughter.

My dad did Ancestry and got only the most vague information, at the level of, he might be from Eastern Europe. Does the detail one can learn just depend on the luck of how many others in your lineage happen to have previously registered with Ancestry?

Quote Originally Posted by mamalatte View Post
    My dad did Ancestry and got only the most vague information, at the level of, he might be from Eastern Europe. Does the detail one can learn just depend on the luck of how many others in your lineage happen to have previously registered with Ancestry?
    I suspect what is also going on here, is it's well known that ancestry in western Europe is much easier to trace. This is usually stated as it's easy to trace white ancestry. Yes, except Eastern Europe is Europe and thus "white", but I suspect there is just a lot less data from places that were basically feudal not that long ago (think Russia before the revolution etc.), that less records exist.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I just looked it up on Ancestry, and apparently my Virginia Stewarts are descended from this Stewart:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_..._Earl_of_Moray

who is called the Bonny Earl of Moray, and is my 13th great-grandfather, according to Ancestry. But while he is descended from King Robert II of Scotland, king of Scotland in the 14th century, he is only a distant cousin of the King James VI of Scotland, aka King James I of England.

But I have other Stewarts so I have to check on those.

Is this your line. did they come through Virginia? I would imagine they did, Cous!
    The Morays are BIG!

our immigrant ancestor did not come through the state of Virginia That was quite vague where he did come through. I mean I think he came through New York and headed to the Midwest.

My Oregon Stewarts came from Illinois--at least in that generation.

Thread Information