Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning a wool blanket

Cleaning a wool blanket

I have a nice heavier Pendleton wool throw sized blanket that is on my list to clean this springtime. Or course the label says dry clean only. I've had success hand washing sweaters in Woolite and am wondering if that is a possibility for the blanket, either cold gentle cycle in the washing machine or hand washing in a bath tub, then line drying. Alternately, am wondering what dry cleaning would cost? I've never used a dry cleaning service and understand it would be by the pound and maybe run about $20.? Any experience or advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I have a nice heavier Pendleton wool throw sized blanket that is on my list to clean this springtime. Or course the label says dry clean only. I've had success hand washing sweaters in Woolite and am wondering if that is a possibility for the blanket, either cold gentle cycle in the washing machine or hand washing in a bath tub, then line drying. Alternately, am wondering what dry cleaning would cost? I've never used a dry cleaning service and understand it would be by the pound and maybe run about $20.? Any experience or advice would be helpful. Thanks.
    I have washed a Pendleton wool throw on gentle cycle in washer then line dried it, and it seemed fine.

Yppej
    My parents have a wool Hudson Bay blanket that I don't remember them ever cleaning. If it is only musty and not soiled you could do what they did and when warm weather comes and you are no longer using it hang it on the line every day it doesn't rain until it smells fresh again.

Living in the PNW, I do have alot of Pendleton items . My blankets, sweaters and coats that say dry clean, I always take to the dry cleaners. Many many years ago, when I was a teenager my sister "borrowed" a wool sweater from me. She spilled something on it and in her attempt to hide the fact that she took it with out asking, she put it through the washing machine. On hot. The sweater come out looking like it would fit her Barbie doll.

I have had luck using dry cleaning sheets (Dryel) in my dryer, but admittedly, never on anything as large as a Pendleton blanket. I would probably try what Yppej suggested before taking it to a cleaners.
    https://dryel.com/
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

When I lived in upstate New York I owned Pendleton items. I always had them dry cleaned.

Does it truly require cleaning as in soiled? If it needs to be freshened up, hang outside in bright sunshine for 1-3 days if no rain expected.

I grew up with wool blankets we brought with us when we immigrated and Mom never ever washed/dry cleaned.

Think rug beating One person on each end with a corner in each hand. "flip" the blanket up repeatedly. The dust will FLY off of it. Do this continuously until no particles are removed.

We did this annually and I have continued these habits.

I dislike the toxic nature of dry cleaning chemicals so use it only when there is no alternative. Then aerate for 3 weeks before using an item.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I have washed a Pendleton wool throw on gentle cycle in washer then line dried it, and it seemed fine.
    Same here... in cold water.

Tybee, that’s a great idea. I won’t own anything that can’t be actually cleaned.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd forgotten all about the nasty dry cleaning chemicals. I think I will try the airing on the line first and work up to the other methods depending on things come out. The blanket is not visibly soiled, but would probably benefit from more than just airing out. Glad I asked.

Thread Information