Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning a wool blanket

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'd forgotten all about the nasty dry cleaning chemicals. I think I will try the airing on the line first and work up to the other methods depending on things come out. The blanket is not visibly soiled, but would probably benefit from more than just airing out. Glad I asked.
    All the wool blankets we immigrated with are in my possession. The oldest was new in 1948. They hold up great with lots of fresh air and sunlight

If I washed it in the washing machine, I might spring for Woolite.

https://www.amazon.com/Woolite-Delic...1&s=hpc&sr=1-4

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Does it truly require cleaning as in soiled? If it needs to be freshened up, hang outside in bright sunshine for 1-3 days if no rain expected.

I grew up with wool blankets we brought with us when we immigrated and Mom never ever washed/dry cleaned.

Think rug beating One person on each end with a corner in each hand. "flip" the blanket up repeatedly. The dust will FLY off of it. Do this continuously until no particles are removed.

We did this annually and I have continued these habits.

I dislike the toxic nature of dry cleaning chemicals so use it only when there is no alternative. Then aerate for 3 weeks before using an item.
    Depends on what it is and what it is used for. I have a Pendleton blanket on my bed . I had three ( emphasis on "had" ) Corgis that would sleep with me on the bed. Corgis are mythical, magic creatures ( equal to horses) but they are shedding machines. They are infamous for the amount of hair that they produce. The absolute only way to get rid of the "Corgi Glitter" out of the blanket is to take it to a dry cleaners. The " had" part refers that we had to take Holly to the Rainbow Bridge last September. The other two are on borrowed time and don't like being up so high up any more.

I live in the " cheap" part of Washington state . I have a king sized Pendleton. Its 75.00 to have it dry cleaned. IMHO well worth it, due ( for me) that its a retired pattern and the cost to replace it would be astronomical. If I could even find it

Quote Originally Posted by boss mare View Post
    Depends on what it is and what it is used for. I have a Pendleton blanket on my bed . I had three ( emphasis on "had" ) Corgis that would sleep with me on the bed. Corgis are mythical, magic creatures ( equal to horses) but they are shedding machines. They are infamous for the amount of hair that they produce. The absolute only way to get rid of the "Corgi Glitter" out of the blanket is to take it to a dry cleaners. The " had" part refers that we had to take Holly to the Rainbow Bridge last September. The other two are on borrowed time and don't like being up so high up any more.
    Never ever were/are animals on our beds. They have their own comfy beds. So pet hair is a non-issue both at my parents and my home.

Thread Information