Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oh, no, there's this dog that needs adopting....

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I love my little yapping Maltese). They have the added expense of needing a grooming every 8 weeks. They are my most precious possessions. Max is only 5lbs and needs a yearly dental. Yesterday it cost 1k as he needed 6 teeth pulled.
    Oh, poor little one!

Pinky toe the last cat we had, 4 years ago, we had put down and it was horrible. I won't have another and I have had a cat in the house for 45 years. It was just too hard to watch her failing, then having to take her in. We do have cats around who give me the happy thoughts, and I check the paper every Sunday for the animal shelter photos, but just can't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I have lost 8 dogs in 16 years and everyone of them was worth it. They all gave me much more than I gave them. When I lose a dog I honor them by rescuing another. I think you are either a animal person or you aren’t.
    You are wonderful for doing that. I agree that animals give so much more than I give them, and I definitely am an animal person, but these past couple of years in particular I have felt a need to absolve myself of as many responsibilities as I can until I officially retire. A few years ago I could manage a stressful job, 4 kids, a husband, a house, a dog, and volunteer activities, but right now, at 69, I'm less interested in the treadmill, and I'm luxuriating in letting as much as possible go. Frankly, there has been so little time over the past 50 years when my mind was my own--it has always been like bubbles of concern bouncing around and bumping up against each other in my head, and I've been intentionally bursting those bubbles one by one over the past couple of years for a little peace of mind.

I don't think it's the right time for these dogs.. but as iris lilies said, I will know the time when it comes.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

They are sooooo cute! These are the kinds of dogs I would definitely have a hard time saying "no" to.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Catherine, you will know when the time is right and the dog will be extremely lucky. Yes it’s sad to make the decision to let a pet go but it’s so much sadder to see pictures of all the pets killed in shelters for lack of homes that died afraid and alone.

I am definitely an animal person but like Catherine, it is freeing to not have the responsibility of owning dogs for the first time in my life. I have two cats now and one that acts like a dog so that is enough. I wouldn't mind fostering one for short terms though. If I ever get resettled, I might look into that.

Thread Information