Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh, no, there's this dog that needs adopting....

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Those guys look like yappy little creatures, I'd avoid em if I were you.
    Thank you, Alan! And good try, razz!,

As for the rest of you, you're bad!

I would love to go visit them to see what their personalities are like. Honestly, getting 2 dogs is so immensely impractical with this small house, and they look like. mid-sized dogs at best. And I have no fence, and I really don't enjoy even dog-sitting my DD's two dogs because they're too strong for me to walk together, so I have to do it one at a time.. And I agree, that I'd hate to split them up, but I don't know who would take one. DD already has two dogs, DS's kids are too young, and DS is here a lot anyway so I might as well just keep them both.

I'm afraid I'm just wishing, but it is tempting.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

To me they look smallish, but maybe that is wishful thinking, too.
    I miss my terriers--they have that terrier face.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Thank you, Alan! And good try, razz!,

As for the rest of you, you're bad!

I would love to go visit them to see what their personalities are like. Honestly, getting 2 dogs is so immensely impractical with this small house, and they look like. mid-sized dogs at best. And I have no fence, and I really don't enjoy even dog-sitting my DD's two dogs because they're too strong for me to walk together, so I have to do it one at a time.. And I agree, that I'd hate to split them up, but I don't know who would take one. DD already has two dogs, DS's kids are too young, and DS is here a lot anyway so I might as well just keep them both.

I'm afraid I'm just wishing, but it is tempting.
    No visiting!!!!!!! All my best efforts will have been in vain. It is too hard to visit and walk away.

Having adopted 3 rescues over my adult life plus one adopted from a landlord over 50+ year time frame, I will never visit a rescue shelter unless I can make a commitment without reserve. I knew that I didn't want another 75lb dog, a longhaired or a yappy one.

I did walk away from the adoption of a 10 week old shitzu rescued from a large puppy mill that was closed down. One friend adopted one of these pups, spent a fortune on vet fees and finally the dog had to be put down due to severe heart failure within a year. My friend was so disappointed as her $$$ resources were limited at the outset so she will never get another dog. A dog may be a rescue but should never be made available until healthy and assessed for behaviour.
    One of my hot buttons
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yappers are no fun, for me anyway.

catherine, when you are ready there will be a dog for you. Perhaps now is that dog, I dunno. But it is harder to find rescue dogs up in the NE than where we are.

After a lifetime of dog ownership, we are happily dog-less. It's probably not popular to admit that but the pain of putting the last one down after 16 years did the trick. I enjoy other's dogs now but so glad we no longer have one. There is a nonprofit pet place near us that re-homes older dogs and cats whose elderly or terminally ill owners can no longer keep them. So there is that aspect to consider...

I've been browsing shelters for cats since we had to put Silvio to sleep, so I'm afraid you can't expect much help from me. It is really interesting that in our area it is extremely hard to adopt a pet from a shelter or rescue right now. I guess a lot of people decided to add a pet to their lives while spending more time at home due to covid. I hope they still want these pets once things open back up. I am kind of proud of us New Englanders though; we are actually importing rescue animals from other parts of the country.

I love my little yapping Maltese). They have the added expense of needing a grooming every 8 weeks. They are my most precious possessions. Max is only 5lbs and needs a yearly dental. Yesterday it cost 1k as he needed 6 teeth pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    After a lifetime of dog ownership, we are happily dog-less. It's probably not popular to admit that but the pain of putting the last one down after 16 years did the trick.
    That is a good argument. It was SO painful to lose the two dogs I had over the span of 20 years. I'm not a crier but....
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I wouldn’t get either or both. Do you like bring dog free? Being able to go where you want and not having to worry about pets? No furniture, clothes, floors always having pet hair on them? No pet expenses?

I have lost 8 dogs in 16 years and everyone of them was worth it. They all gave me much more than I gave them. When I lose a dog I honor them by rescuing another. I think you are either a animal person or you aren’t.

Thread Information