Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lotsa OT lately.....

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Is it the actual cleaning act that you enjoy or the result? Or both?
    Both!

I liked my former employer's take on drug testing; they just didn't do it. The philosophy was that it was all about performance. If you could somehow manage a stellar performance despite major substance use, then good for you. If you never touched any substances but could not perform acceptably, then too bad for you.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I liked my former employer's take on drug testing; they just didn't do it. The philosophy was that it was all about performance. If you could somehow manage a stellar performance despite major substance use, then good for you. If you never touched any substances but could not perform acceptably, then too bad for you.
    And that is the absolute bottom line. Drug testing is just expensive theater.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    And that is the absolute bottom line. Drug testing is just expensive theater.
    I disagree, I think it helps provide a measure of protection for employers in an overly litigious society.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I disagree, I think it helps provide a measure of protection for employers in an overly litigious society.
    Times have changed since the two-martini lunch maybe, but the idea holds. My DH was a stellar performer as an ad space salesman in the 70s/80s, partially because he plied his clients with alcohol from 12-3pm. So I wonder how alcohol is different from marijuana or other drugs. If people can perform, they can perform. In a capitalist society, that's all that matters.

But again, maybe times have changed. I hope they have changed in that if drugs are a reason to retain employees or "release" them, alcohol is on the same playing field as cannabis or other drugs.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Times have changed since the two-martini lunch maybe, but the idea holds. My DH was a stellar performer as an ad space salesman in the 70s/80s, partially because he plied his clients with alcohol from 12-3pm. So I wonder how alcohol is different from marijuana or other drugs. If people can perform, they can perform. In a capitalist society, that's all that matters.

But again, maybe times have changed. I hope they have changed in that if drugs are a reason to retain employees or "release" them, alcohol is on the same playing field as cannabis or other drugs.
    I can say with certainty that if I had been found to have alcohol on my breath at any point in my career, it would have been over. As far as testing is concerned, alcohol will leave your system much faster than other drugs so it's much harder to detect usage and tie it to workplace hours. But the idea of workplace drug testing is not to punish users but rather to identify potential safety, compliance and workplace liability concerns.

In my last workplace a positive drug test result would not even be a cause for firing, it would instead trigger an opportunity for counseling and treatment although the sad truth is that second or third positive test results would cause the company to go into risk mitigation mode and release the employee. That's just a fact of life.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I can say with certainty that if I had been found to have alcohol on my breath at any point in my career, it would have been over. As far as testing is concerned, alcohol will leave your system much faster than other drugs so it's much harder to detect usage and tie it to workplace hours. But the idea of workplace drug testing is not to punish users but rather to identify potential safety, compliance and workplace liability concerns.

In my last workplace a positive drug test result would not even be a cause for firing, it would instead trigger an opportunity for counseling and treatment although the sad truth is that second or third positive test results would cause the company to go into risk mitigation mode and release the employee. That's just a fact of life.
    I guess I agree with rosa on her employers take on it, but I have always found it fascinating how alcohol is not only accepted, but expected in our society. Tell someone you don't drink and they look at you like you have two heads. Yes, it has its limits in the workplace, but tolerance for alcohol in my experience is higher than for those who have a "drug problem."
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It's funny, I work at home, and lately I have had a glass of wine in the evening, and I make sure I don't do anything in the classroom or answer student emails if I have had any wine. I just never thought about it because I did not drink at all for most of my work at home career.

Well and to Bae's point, pot has the unfortunate tendency to linger in one's system, so one might not ever go to work under the influence but still fail a random drug test.
    Yes, alcohol seems to get more acceptance than it deserves, and I imagine it has ruined a lot more lives than weed ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Well and to Bae's point, pot has the unfortunate tendency to linger in one's system, so one might not ever go to work under the influence but still fail a random drug test.
    Yes, alcohol seems to get more acceptance than it deserves, and I imagine it has ruined a lot more lives than weed ever did.
    Amen. And killed legions more than cannabis ever has. I have a brandy now and again, but I've read that--especially for women--there's no safe dose of alcohol.

Thread Information