Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lotsa OT lately.....

Had to look up THC to know what it meant - call me naive about the world of using. I could see why managers have to be really alert and full capable when I watched the response of a management team at my grocery pull quickly together when an older man suddenly appeared deranged and confused, falling and fearful of where he was. This was near an exit at a busy time so shoppers were quietly rerouted with their buggies to leave. They were so calm and talked to the man, soothing him until he collected himself and finally stood up. He was adamant that he needed no further help from anyone.
    I gained a greater appreciation for the skill set needed to manage a store, Rob. Your experience in the tourism service sector would have prepared you well.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

THC stays in your bloodstream for up to 30 days. The person doesn’t have to be high and impacted to fail the drug test.

The ACLU proposed a performance test that you would take when you signed on, then again if there were any signs of impairment. It's been years since I heard of this, but to me it makes lots more sense than random numbers that may have absolutely nothing to do with how well you perform on the job.

As TeacherTerry points out, THC lingers whether or not a person is impaired. But I knew a bunch of co-workers who would go out and smoke (or drink) on their lunch hours, then come back and work circles around me, so...(I had two glasses of wine at lunch once, and couldn't focus worth a damn--it's all in the context.)

A lot of people seem to think that because some states have legalized MJ, they’re now good to smoke on breaks or don’t have to worry about peeing hot. That was an issue with a lot of the warehouse workers - which included forklift operators - at the job where I was for 13 years.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The ACLU proposed a performance test that you would take when you signed on, then again if there were any signs of impairment. It's been years since I heard of this, but to me it makes lots more sense than random numbers that may have absolutely nothing to do with how well you perform on the job.

As TeacherTerry points out, THC lingers whether or not a person is impaired. But I knew a bunch of co-workers who would go out and smoke (or drink) on their lunch hours, then come back and work circles around me, so...(I had two glasses of wine at lunch once, and couldn't focus worth a damn--it's all in the context.)
    riiiiiiiiight. A brief in office test, administered by non experts, with a bottom line to support, will for sure distinguish incapacities of the guy who will be pointing that multi-ton vehicle at you on the highway.

nope.

I sont care if little office drones partake however.

I do agree that longstanding THC in a bloodstream of someone who is NOT impaired is a problem. But leave it to the ACLU to be completely theoretical.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    A lot of people seem to think that because some states have legalized MJ, they’re now good to smoke on breaks or don’t have to worry about peeing hot. That was an issue with a lot of the warehouse workers - which included forklift operators - at the job where I was for 13 years.
    My fire department still has a zero-tolerance policy, even though cannabis is legal in WA state. I mean, you probably don't want someone stoned driving a 50,000 pound fire truck down a narrow road in an emergency situation. But because of how the testing works, that seems to rule out some poor fellow who had an edible a week ago when he was off-duty.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    But because of how the testing works, that seems to rule out some poor fellow who had an edible a week ago when he was off-duty.
    Yep, that's a quandry. For the first 33 years of my career I carried a weapon daily and was subjected to rather strict, and frequent (allegedly random) drug testing. For the final dozen years I was subject to a less strict but nonetheless serious testing policy due to my access to Schedule II and Schedule III narcotics.

Both seemed reasonable to me given the liability of my employers.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

It really depends on the job market how much tolerance you are going to have. Ok some things are always dangerous under the influence but how much they care for much else depends on how much they need workers.

My bf interviewing a truck driver for the company he works for, has one month of experience, claims to have recently become a truck driver, okay it can be overlooked, one needs a truck driver badly right, one month of experience, that's great! Won't give their last name. LOL. Okay, who did they kill? He had to decline that one. But maybe some other place hires them.
    Trees don't grow on money

Does anyone know how much the bloodstream absorbs if you are in a smoking or producing environment aka a grower? That was one of the questions before Canada legalized cannabis in 2018. I still don't think one can prove drug-free if exposed to it but maybe more info has become scientifically decided.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Boy I'd love to go to Mexico right now. Any coast, warm sand, sunshine, the great food. Have a great time. Our business has been crazy busy during covid and we did not hire anyone new - until this last month. So being salaried it was tough to work extra time with little recognition. Pats on the back don't deposit well at my bank!

Thread Information