Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Oscars Bomb Again

The Oscars Bomb Again

I read that the Oscars’ viewership dropped below ten million this year, continuing a long term trend. Are people tiring of the Hollywood version of glamour, or are they perhaps not all that interested in being preached to by woke actors? Is it the movies themselves? Maybe being able to stream your personal tastes creates less interest in this year’s releases.

Going to a film house is a dead activity for me. Covid.

And I was one of the last holdouts, a person who enjoyed the big dark movie theatre.

My attention span is pretty much limited to 23 and 44 minute segments any more due to watching tv shows.

I heard Ricky Gervais had some cutting things to say about the Oscar production and I look forward to hearing them.

I think it's because during COVID no one could go to the movies, so the excitement of first-run movies is completely diluted. I used to watch the Oscars religiously, and my family used to compete by filling out our guesses for the winner for all the categories.

I would have watched last night, but DD/DSIL were here. Ironically, I have been DYING to see Nomadland, and I've been holding off to watch it with DD, and haven't had the chance yet. So I'm glad it won, and I'm glad the Frances McDormand won, because I think she's awesome.

I was wishing I had recorded it, actually, because it's fun to see the outfits. And the woke SJWs.

I heard Ricky Gervais had some cutting things to say about the Oscar production and I look forward to hearing them.
    If he had been the host, I would have made the family sit down and watch.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I can't recall any movies of special note that I watched or wanted to watch this last year. Sure there were a few good ones, but not any that I can think of that were Oscar level, unlike other years. I haven't seen Nomadland. It seems to me like it was more quantity over quality during the pandemic.

Want to see nomad land too. And then there was all these films with the word Woman in them. I’m seem to be watching one of them right now the one with Rachel Brosnan. I think that was a film considered to be good?

I'll bet I haven't watched an Academy Awards broadcast in over 20 years, mainly because I find the post awards clips of people who make their living pretending they're someone else pretentious. I can't imagine why anyone who happens to be famous think their opinions have value and that we all should pay attention to them. I blame Marlon Brando for popularizing that trend nearly 50 years ago, followed by that goofy guy who ran naked across the stage on live tv. I've been forever impressed with David Niven's unscripted response to that one, something along the lines of "Isn't it fascinating to know that the only laugh that guy will get in life is showing off his shortcomings". If we still had actors of his league performing I'd probably watch more.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I haven't had much interest in these things ever since the trend of making films aimed at winning the awards took over.

My dw had it on for most of the evening, though muted for most of the show while she was texting/face timing our children. All the focus on what they are wearing, I find totally nauseating. The definition of a "star" is very very wide. I can understand when those who win the "documentary" categories' might have reason to express their feelings on a particular subject, but when the others just use their time to spew their political agenda is a huge turn off for me.

It's a guilty pleasure for me. Is it pretentious? Yes. Are the narcissistic speeches annoying? Yes. Does a "win" for a good film among other good films mean anything? Not really.

But I like American Idol, HGTV, and American Ninja Warriors, too. It's escapism, and I do really like the outfits and all the actors that I still recognize. Go Antony Hopkins!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    It's a guilty pleasure for me. Is it pretentious? Yes. Are the narcissistic speeches annoying? Yes. Does a "win" for a good film among other good films mean anything? Not really.

But I like American Idol, HGTV, and American Ninja Warriors, too. It's escapism, and I do really like the outfits and all the actors that I still recognize. Go Antony Hopkins!
    I have always liked many kinds of contests: cat shows, dog shows, flower show, even beauty contests back in the day.

Thread Information