Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 67

Thread: Word for not-spouse?

  1. #41
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    18,891
    OM?g, do we get to complain about today’s words and phrases that bug us?


    Just this moment I am internally cursing the phrase “lived experience” as in “my lived experience tells me that doesnt really happen in real life.”

    What kind of experience do any of us have besides our lived experience? Do we have an unlived experience? Do we have an imaginary experience? What is wrong with the standard phrase “in my experience? “

  2. #42
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    6,820
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Well, in my Dad's day, he and his husband would have each been fired from their jobs for being homosexual, so they didn't even have the luxury of using a label. Fun times...
    It wasn't that long ago. I have a friend who worked as an elementary music teacher for a catholic school in upstate NY. After NY allowed marriage he got fired because they were fine with him being gay, and in a relationship with a dude, and the adoptive father of two kids, both of whom attended the school he taught at. But they were not ok with him being the husband of another man so once he did that they fired his ass. This was less than ten years ago.

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,672
    We do see a lot of overused trite-isms right now, I think usually by people trying to sound more serious.

    Every threat is “existential”. It’s “our democracy”, as opposed to North Korea’s. Any minor controversy triggers a “firestorm of criticism”. Any minor law change is some supercharged version of “Jim Crow”. Why say “science” when “The Science” , or better yet “The Settled Science” sounds so much more authoritative and eternal?

  4. #44
    Senior Member HappyHiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    We do see a lot of overused trite-isms right now, I think usually by people trying to sound more serious.

    Every threat is “existential”. It’s “our democracy”, as opposed to North Korea’s. Any minor controversy triggers a “firestorm of criticism”. Any minor law change is some supercharged version of “Jim Crow”. Why say “science” when “The Science” , or better yet “The Settled Science” sounds so much more authoritative and eternal?
    Yep, you're so right.

    Let's just calm down and be more mundane and real.

    Tired of all the dramatic hyperbole...

    "At the end of the day..." who wants to get upset?? lol The Science says it's not good for our blood pressure or digestion...
    peaceful, easy feeling

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,672
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    Yep, you're so right.

    Let's just calm down and be more mundane and real.

    Tired of all the dramatic hyperbole...

    "At the end of the day..." who wants to get upset?? lol The Science says it's not good for our blood pressure or digestion...
    At the end of the day, cliche-overreach has become the new normal, which represents an existential threat to our national conversation and consequently our democracy.

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    204
    I nominate 'ooey gooey" for immediate oblivion.

  7. #47
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    6,820
    To be fair, though, we’ve never had a president attempt a coup before. Followed by the continuing full throated support of that effort by his party months later. (Except liz Cheney). It really kind of is an unprecedented attack on our democracy. Not north Korea’s. Or Hong Kong’s. Ours.

  8. #48
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    13,292
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    To be fair, though, we’ve never had a president attempt a coup before. Followed by the continuing full throated support of that effort by his party months later. (Except liz Cheney). It really kind of is an unprecedented attack on our democracy. Not north Korea’s. Or Hong Kong’s. Ours.
    I can't believe how sanguine most Republicans are about this armed insurrection. It's a given they wouldn't be so blase' if it really had been anti-fascists that pulled it off.

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,672
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I can't believe how sanguine most Republicans are about this armed insurrection. It's a given they wouldn't be so blase' if it really had been anti-fascists that pulled it off.
    In that that case the cliche would switch to “this is what democracy looks like”.

  10. #50
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    13,292
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    In that that case the cliche would switch to “this is what democracy looks like”.
    I've chanted that in a few peaceful demonstrations myself. And I meant it.
    Apples and grenades.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •