Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: manufactured houses that really appeal to me

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I found this nice one in Beaverton for a modest $172,000, with a $700 lot lease, which seems like too much to me, but I would definitely consider that option. It would save me about as much money in property taxes as I'd pay for the lease.Attachment 3765
    Jane: Is that $700 per month?

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Yes. It does include some utilities, grounds upkeep, and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I mentioned a few years ago a retirement community of owned homes where the land lease included snow removal and water. In the late 80's, the monthly rate was low with an annual % increase. About two years ago I checked and was horrified to read of the owned 40 year-old simple cottage homes paying land lease of $983/mth.

Last weekend, triggered by this thread, I went to see what that development looked like today. It is huge!
    No prices for lot lease listed. Only 2.9% annual increase

http://www.ricedevelopmentcorp.ca/wi...our-homes.html It is not unique. Senior developments are big business!!!
    Zillow has one listing https://www.zillow.com/wilmot-creek-clarington-on/
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    check out 'container homes'. They are kind of unique.
    They are and I've seen pictures of some that I found quite attractive.

But there are drawbacks to using containers for housing. They were never designed for habitation, so whatever has to be done to add appropriate insulation, water pipes, and heat/cool air ductwork/pipes adds costs and takes away from the amount of space available for living. Containers are designed to meet standardized sizes, so you have long narrow spaces to fill or you end up joining more than one in multiple-story structures (stairs, passageways, etc.). It takes a great deal of energy to turn two containers into a "double-wide" (if you will). And though some container home proponents like to applaud their reusability, containers are used for their intended purpose until they are retired from service because they're too damaged to be used in shipping. And buying new containers to convert into housing is not nearly as "green" as reusing them. Great look, but not as environmentally conscious as many would hope.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I'm in love!!!! Found this doing a google search one day:

https://tinyhouselistings.com/listin...very-available

I know it's not for everyone, but I like it.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I'm in love!!!! Found this doing a google search one day:

https://tinyhouselistings.com/listin...very-available

I know it's not for everyone, but I like it.
    That's cute and would work for a cottage property. I couldn't figure out how the connections for utilities and sewage were incorporated in the design.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Mostly just eye candy, but I enjoyed browsing this site that features what they are calling the healthiest homes on the planet.

https://www.phoenixhaus.com/

razz - since it is a container home and movable, I'm thinking sort of like a mobile home... that is a guess!

Rogar - thanks for the link. Looks interesting and I've saved it for later.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Actually considering something like this one for our Tx home ... maybe as a winter getaway from the winter here. Older but clean, well-kept and backs up to a ranch. One could see the stars at night. Lot fee is $400 a month but covers most expenses/utilities.
    https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8_M79026-50313

That would be a good solution for your situation, pinkytoe. Get a sense of where you really want to be and do it at your leisure.

Thread Information