Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: manufactured houses that really appeal to me

I dont mind trailers but it is the parking that is a problem. We have a couple of carefully managed parks but most are older in flooding prone areas and are having big issues. And you cannot just plunk one down on any piece of property. This is the biggest issue with trailers and tiny houses.

I used to live in a double-wide on a private lot just outside Wichita. It was fabulous. Three bedrooms, 1 bath - just the right size for 2 of us, with room for a guest or two.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    I dont mind trailers but it is the parking that is a problem. We have a couple of carefully managed parks but most are older in flooding prone areas and are having big issues. And you cannot just plunk one down on any piece of property. This is the biggest issue with trailers and tiny houses.
    It depends where you go, as with any home. The one we plan on renting this year has a driveway that will hold a few cars, as well as, parking on the street.

I like the homestead one better. Don’t like the open floor plan though.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    It depends where you go, as with any home. The one we plan on renting this year has a driveway that will hold a few cars, as well as, parking on the street.
    I think sweetana was talking about parking a mobile home itself not parking cars near one. In many places in the US it’s illegal to live in a wheeled home for any length of time in one spot, the exception being mobile home parks.

The first one is very close to my and most of the houses in my old neighborhood, before the addition. I do wish I had the insulation that it has though. (know what a couple neighbors went through to get insulated)
    Can't build on the size lot that those are anymore, and so many people wouldn't want something that size. If one had property, as long as I could put a second toilet in a garage/shop (ever have a toilet break in a single bathroom after things are closed), I like that size/layout.

I found this nice one in Beaverton for a modest $172,000, with a $700 lot lease, which seems like too much to me, but I would definitely consider that option. It would save me about as much money in property taxes as I'd pay for the lease.Beaxerton Manufactured home 172,000.jpg

I was talking to some friends this morning when out walking my dog about housing and they said check out 'container homes'. They are kind of unique. This company knows the bylaws and such requirements that need to be met. A very different kind of manufactured home.
    https://www.homedit.com/shipping-con...-home-bedroom/
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I like container houses, especially the better-designed ones. There can't be enough housing alternatives, as far as I'm concerned.

There are a lot of successful alternative home ideas out there. However, there are fewer successful efforts to breakdown NIMBY attitudes and local government building rules. Our big issues are "not big enough", does not meet our building requirements, etc.

New Zealand and Australia seem to have done way more in this area.

I adore some of the custom tiny homes but keep running into where to put one(in my area)

Thread Information