Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: And now for something different

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    It will take an unusual person to deal with all that excess and still stay sane. It is one of the dwellings that is good to visit but not to stay.
    IL, if 3/4 of the contents were removed, would it become a normal dwelling or is it too cut up for that kind of a future?
    Interesting question. Even removing so much attached-to-walls-and-ceilings “stuff” leaves cavities in the floors. Rooms are ceilinged in weird angles that some people would have to stoop under.

The building has no central air and no central heating. That is pretty extreme for the year 2021 in my neighborhood.

And the kitchen is just hilarious. There is an electric cooktop perched on a well decorated pedestal. I don’t think there’s an oven in the kitchen. The countertops are copper and fabulous.

I would’ve snapped it up at $125,000. I would then regret it! Haha. Which seems to be happening to the buyers, they are backing out after having second thoughts.

If I was living in another life and had money, I would modify it but honor the artist in doing so.A nice thing about it is that it’s a small Victorian house on a wonderful Street in a fabulous neighborhood.Just that alone makes it a fine real estate purchase.

It reminds me of the House on the Rock in Spring Green, Wisconsin. Maybe it should just be made into an attraction for everyone to enjoy. I'd pay to go through it.

https://www.thehouseontherock.com/about/
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Interesting question. Even removing so much attached-to-walls-and-ceilings “stuff” leaves cavities in the floors. Rooms are ceilinged in weird angles that some people would have to stoop under.

The building has no central air and no central heating. That is pretty extreme for the year 2021 in my neighborhood.

And the kitchen is just hilarious. There is an electric cooktop perched on a well decorated pedestal. I don’t think there’s an oven in the kitchen. The countertops are copper and fabulous.

I would’ve snapped it up at $125,000. I would then regret it! Haha. Which seems to be happening to the buyers, they are backing out after having second thoughts.

If I was living in another life and had money, I would modify it but honor the artist in doing so.A nice thing about it is that it’s a small Victorian house on a wonderful Street in a fabulous neighborhood.Just that alone makes it a fine real estate purchase.
    I love your pic of your DH standing there. I haven't even seen the house and I am enamored with it. I hope someone who really "gets" the artist's aesthetic appears from somewhere and buys it. It could be maybe tempered a little, made safe, and turned into an airBNB.

Kind of related, my son is on his way back from Nashville but needed one night in a hotel because he had to be out of his place the day before his flight took off. Because of my travel experience he asked me if I would book his hotel. He wanted to stay in Nashville his last night, as opposed to staying in an airport hotel.

Well, I found this one. I had to book him in it. He got back to me after he checked in and he's afraid that he'll be hallucinating later on, sitting at the bar with imaginary bartenders. It is unusual, but it's a place I would stay at just for the fun factor. It's an old renovated church--they retained the stained glass windows and they've repurposed the pews into nightstands. When my son was talking to me he was talking really low and he said that he felt he had to because he feels like he's in church. Here's a gallery of photos from the website: https://www.russellnashville.com/gal...sell-nashville

Keep us posted on the artist's house, IL!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

That Nashville hotel looks like fun in photos. Was the shower stall a repair truck or simply a repairman providing service?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

The Nashville boutique hotel in a church looks great. Such clean decor in annold building, good choices on their part. That church must have been huge because they’ve got 23 rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    The Nashville boutique hotel in a church looks great. Such clean decor in annold building, good choices on their part. That church must have been huge because they’ve got 23 rooms.
    Well, I don't think my son is enjoying it after all. He said it's "creepy as hell". . I'm not surprised.. he's not very religious and doesn't really appreciate that kind of architectural detail. And it's very quiet and he's like his dad: He'd probably prefer sitting at a crowded lobby bar. Oh well. It makes for a good "last night in Nashville" story.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Well, I don't think my son is enjoying it after all. He said it's "creepy as hell". . I'm not surprised.. he's not very religious and doesn't really appreciate that kind of architectural detail. And it's very quiet and he's like his dad: He'd probably prefer sitting at a crowded lobby bar. Oh well. It makes for a good "last night in Nashville" story.
    i would like it!My number one preference for staying in a hotel is architecture architecture architecture.

I had to stay in a Holiday Inn some days ago that was a perfectly nice Holiday inn, really quite nice. But there it was, one of those motel towers on the edge of the interstate. UGG. No architecture. No setting. But nice rooms, lovely staff.I’ve learned to rate those things a 5 out of 5 because this Holiday Inn cannot help that it has no soul.

But I woild much rather give my five star rating to a place that is interesting.

I have enjoyed the interesting BandBs or other strange hotels far more than an ordinary chain room. Far more to talk about after the visit. Stayed in a Lafayette Park BandB in St. Louis years ago and the Cheshire Inn there. Hubby says it might have been 35 years ago and we still have clear memories of the visits. Also the converted camel stable and the maharaja's palace hotel plus other oddities in India made life long memories.

Seems the chain spots always leave the bad memories probably because they are not given the leniency to be quirky. Still remember the new build that was rented to us without having the toilet completely attached to the floor and a counter height desk with a regular desk chair among other issues. Kind of like stopping at McDonalds for food instead of hunting out an interesting diner.

Thread Information